Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

From the GCSEs im studying, what A levels would suit me best? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I was wondering what A-levels you would recommend for me to study, based on what GCSEs im taking and my thoughts on them...

I find maths an interesting subject, but it is probably not the subject im most interested in. Admittedly im not too good at it (but i am self teaching myself and getting better)
    I don't really like English language/lit.
    I enjoy learning physics, and out of the 3 sciences I'm probably best at.
    I find biology somewhat interesting.
    I find chemistry OK.
    I studied Citizenship (not by choice - everyone did it) at GCSE and I got a B. Found it somewhat interesting but overall mediocre.
    And for the options im taking...

I study Computer Science, which Is challenging yet rewarding. I really enjoy it (especially the programming bit!)
    I study Art, but I doubt I want to continue the subject to A-level.

Something that might be worth mentioning is that my older brother took maths, physics and Psychology at A level. He got an A in maths, a D in physics and he only studied Psychology for one year, however he managed to get an A in it, and he studied it at St Andrews and achieved a first, so maybe psychology may be a good A level to take?

So from the list of GCSEs im studying/studied, what A-levels would you recommenced?

ReputationRep:
    double maths
    triple science

Now rep me. </p>

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further maths, Physics and Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Do what you enjoy and you're good at, so
    Computer Science
    Physics
    Maths (Include Maths because it will help a lot with Physics and if you want to study Computer Science at Uni you'll need Maths, it's also one of the best A Levels to have)
    Any other A Level you want

ReputationRep:
    Physics, computing(not ICT), maths and maybe something you haven't done before like economics or psychology as a fourth, to break it all up.

Everything gets more interesting at A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jor64)
    Hi everyone

I was wondering what A-levels you would recommend for me to study, based on what GCSEs im taking and my thoughts on them...

I find maths an interesting subject, but it is probably not the subject im most interested in. Admittedly im not too good at it (but i am self teaching myself and getting better)
    I don't really like English language/lit.
    I enjoy learning physics, and out of the 3 sciences I'm probably best at.
    I find biology somewhat interesting.
    I find chemistry OK.
    I studied Citizenship (not by choice - everyone did it) at GCSE and I got a B. Found it somewhat interesting but overall mediocre.
    And for the options im taking...

I study Computer Science, which Is challenging yet rewarding. I really enjoy it (especially the programming bit!)
    I study Art, but I doubt I want to continue the subject to A-level.

Something that might be worth mentioning is that my older brother took maths, physics and Psychology at A level. He got an A in maths, a D in physics and he only studied Psychology for one year, however he managed to get an A in it, and he studied it at St Andrews and achieved a first, so maybe psychology may be a good A level to take?

So from the list of GCSEs im studying/studied, what A-levels would you recommenced?
    It sounds like you should do Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computing. Maybe Further Maths too, if you enjoy it enough. This will give you a very wide range of subject options when applying to university.

Have you considered any subjects that are not common GCSEs, such as Economics?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if the people on this thread have actually read the OP, but I really don't see how Further Maths would be a sensible subject for someone who struggles at Maths.
    I'd personally say that if you know what you want to do at uni, to look at what unis want for that but if not try not to pick a too narrow set of A levels.
    Looking at your interests something like Maths, Physics, Computing/ICT (whatever the A level is called), and for your 4th choice maybe choose something new

ReputationRep:
    OH I also forgot to mention I am studying RE (it's compulsory because I study at a Catholic school)

I get As and A*s, but I'm only interested in the subject a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Honestly, the truth is that no one can tell you which a levels to take, the only person who can do that is you. The biggest thing to consider is that you will be studying these subjects for 2 years (1 if you do the AS), and you will be having lessons for each subject pretty much everyday. Therefore, you really need to pick subjects you absolutely love and are passionate about. Otherwise you may find that you aren't wanting to put as much effort in as you should be, and with pretty much everything, you get back what you give.

It seems to me that maybe you should think about the physics/maths/biology route, but you should really think about what you want to do at university and as a career because that may help you decide.

In regards to your brother, don't take the fact that he did well in Psychology as a reason for yourself taking it. Even though he's your brother, that really doesn't mean to say that you'll do well in it. My friend's sister got an A in Government and Politics but she herself got a D, so only take Psychology if you are genuinely interested in it.

I hope this helps and good luck with your choices

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.