Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone got any good memory techniques? (A-Level Biology, but for any subject really) watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I understand the content completely in Biology, for example, but I forget some of the little details that I need for the exam.

ReputationRep:
    I learn best by using lists/tables, but flash cards are a great way to get the wording right (what the examiners are looking for).

Other than that, mnemonics are useful, the odder the better, visualising it(eg organelles) and making it rhyme etc

ReputationRep:
    Acronyms. For example memorising trig in maths : Sex On Hard Concrete Always Hurts The Open Anus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    Acronyms. For example memorising trig in maths : Sex On Hard Concrete Always Hurts The Open Anus
    Why not just remember SOH-CAH-TOA? ;p
    For me, I'd definitely suggest flashcards - they don't take too long to do each day (depending on how many you have), and I can still remember stuff from ages back thanks to them. Works well with equations, etc. I also use them for diagrams, to help me remember the many different parts in an organ, etc. Of course, this is particularly useful with Bio, but flashcards help with other subjects too (e.g. memorising vocab for a language, memorising formulas for Physics etc).
    Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Well heloo every one

Iam Ahmad maged
    Iam an A Level student studying Biology A Level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treblebee)
    Why not just remember SOH-CAH-TOA? ;p
    For me, I'd definitely suggest flashcards - they don't take too long to do each day (depending on how many you have), and I can still remember stuff from ages back thanks to them. Works well with equations, etc. I also use them for diagrams, to help me remember the many different parts in an organ, etc. Of course, this is particularly useful with Bio, but flashcards help with other subjects too (e.g. memorising vocab for a language, memorising formulas for Physics etc).
    Hope that helps!
    Not as catchy as mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    hahah in year 9 my maths teacher told us to remember it by
    Sex On Hard Concrete Always Hurts The Outer Areas
    I've never met anyone that uses anything like it (until now :eek:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    I understand the content completely in Biology, for example, but I forget some of the little details that I need for the exam.
    I agree with previous posts; flash cards are amazing.
    They help with definitions and pretty much anything really and they also help to consolidate info as well as helping you to learn new content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowtwist)
    hahah in year 9 my maths teacher told us to remember it by
    Sex On Hard Concrete Always Hurts The Outer Areas
    I've never met anyone that uses anything like it (until now :eek:)
    you're not alone

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 26, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.