Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Academic background issue... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi mates

I am 24 years old 1st year finance student in London. This is my second university degree, fist one is achieved in non-EU country.

I about to apply for a summer internship to a top finance company this year but i have a growing concern over my previous academic background which was not that good .

I have five years of experience as an sole entrepreneur and one year as a financial derivatives trader. My CV was appraised as decent by university and i have been told that my CV will be significantly different out of what most 1st year students apply.

To be honest I dont feel like to talk about my previous academic degree because my performance was not that good and it is not related to the position that i intend to pursue.For this reason i prefer not to talk about them.

So my question can i leave them off my CV?

If i were to ask in online application "Any previous degrees" meaning that official transcripts need to be included, can i omit this entirely by clicking
    "no previous education"?

Do you think this is acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    Imo, this is absolutely the wrong way to go about this. My advice is, first and foremost, tell the truth. You'll only create problems for yourself by lying about or consciously omitting crucial information.

Secondly, I think you can use this as an opportunity. You can say (if asked or probed about it) what you've learned from your mistakes the first time around. This is something that distinguishes you in a positive way from the younger students - they haven't had the opportunity to even make mistakes, never mind learn from them. Also show how your past experience has helped you to find a path that better suits you. (Shame it's finance, but that's just my personal prejudice creeping in there!)
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by IsakBovari)
    If i were to ask in online application "Any previous degrees" meaning that official transcripts need to be included, can i omit this entirely by clicking
    "no previous education"?

Do you think this is acceptable?
    No you can't, it's fraudulent and if the employer offers you the job and subsequently finds out you lied in your application, you can be dismissed instantly. Grow up and take responsibility for your past mediocre academic background - if you think it's an issue.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.