Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I'm a language student currently at the start of my 3rd year of a 4 year course.
    The 3rd year is abroad and I've been settling into my uni here in France where I will stay for one academic year.

Last academic year I began to feel unhappy in my course, I had no enthusiasm for the work at all and very little desire to be there. I continued thinking that the year abroad would be an excellent experience and was something to stay for.

I'm now on my year abroad and continue to dislike it, except now I'm in a different country where I don't know people.

on top of the student finance loans, I owe the bank over £1000 and it's not a nice feeling at all.

I really think I'm going to wait until christmas and if I feel the same I'm going to leave.

Does anyone know how long the credits I have already passed are valid for?
    everyone tells me "dont drop out it's important" - but that's part of the problem - I feel I'm at university to begin with because others expect it of me, not especially because I choose this path for myself.

At this point i feel if I stay, I will fail.
    If I do leave I would like to know that I won't totally loose the credits I've gained.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice about leaving the course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gypsyroux)
    Hi everyone.

I'm a language student currently at the start of my 3rd year of a 4 year course.
    The 3rd year is abroad and I've been settling into my uni here in France where I will stay for one academic year.

Last academic year I began to feel unhappy in my course, I had no enthusiasm for the work at all and very little desire to be there. I continued thinking that the year abroad would be an excellent experience and was something to stay for.

I'm now on my year abroad and continue to dislike it, except now I'm in a different country where I don't know people.

on top of the student finance loans, I owe the bank over £1000 and it's not a nice feeling at all.

I really think I'm going to wait until christmas and if I feel the same I'm going to leave.

Does anyone know how long the credits I have already passed are valid for?
    everyone tells me "dont drop out it's important" - but that's part of the problem - I feel I'm at university to begin with because others expect it of me, not especially because I choose this path for myself.

At this point i feel if I stay, I will fail.
    If I do leave I would like to know that I won't totally loose the credits I've gained.

Does anyone have any thoughts/advice about leaving the course?
    You'll need to talk to your university regarding the credits you've already gained, but usually if you drop out at this stage, you won't get any sort of recognised qualification. Equally, it's very rare for people to be accepted directly into the final year of a course, so the credits might not benefit you this way either.

Is there any way you could come home and progress directly to your final year instead?

It's also worth bearing in mind you'd only get one years funding towards another degree. If you drop out now, then going back to uni will be really difficult.

Obviously being miserable is awful, especially being miserable in another country, but will dropping out fix anything? You'd still face your financial issues- do you have a plan as to what you would do instead?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    You'll need to talk to your university regarding the credits you've already gained, but usually if you drop out at this stage, you won't get any sort of recognised qualification. Equally, it's very rare for people to be accepted directly into the final year of a course, so the credits might not benefit you this way either.

Is there any way you could come home and progress directly to your final year instead?

It's also worth bearing in mind you'd only get one years funding towards another degree. If you drop out now, then going back to uni will be really difficult.

Obviously being miserable is awful, especially being miserable in another country, but will dropping out fix anything? You'd still face your financial issues- do you have a plan as to what you would do instead?
    yeah - get a job - i've always felt happier when working and I just don't believe that finishing a degree is the only way anyone ever gets a job in this world.
    it is a tough one I know - and im gonna wait another 2 months before i really decide what to do, but I just feel like Ive plodded along through two years of a course because I'm expected to and it kind of makes me resentful lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gypsyroux)
    yeah - get a job - i've always felt happier when working and I just don't believe that finishing a degree is the only way anyone ever gets a job in this world.
    it is a tough one I know - and im gonna wait another 2 months before i really decide what to do, but I just feel like Ive plodded along through two years of a course because I'm expected to and it kind of makes me resentful lol
    I can totally understand feeling that way, and doing a degree isn't for everyone. It's true a degree isn't essential for a lot of jobs/careers, but it's also true that a lot of applicants are over qualified, and that a lack of a degree may hold you back later on in your career. If you've researched your options, and you know dropping out won't impact your career prospects too much, then that's fair enough- but it's easy to be dismissive of degrees when sometimes they do make a difference when looking for a job.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.