Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd consider myself an artist, in the sense that I used to regularly paint and draw, I've had a few commissions and I designed a book cover earlier this year for an American author. Recently however, I'm struggling to come up with who/what to draw, my main focus is portraits of famous people/people who interest me and although I absolutely love it, I'd like to take it in a different direction, but for some reason I just never find the motivation to start anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas with how to kick-start motivation or find ideas/inspiration on what to paint/draw? You don't have to be an artist yourself of course any ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I'd also like the answer to this, I write but I cannot fathom enough ****s to do anything about it. So not written a word in months.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea about art. I wish I did. But I would assume coming up with things is a pretty universal thing.
    Perhaps look through collections of other art just to get an idea of concepts and things you could use in your own? Could make notes and brainstorm? Do other things which you are fond of, even if mundane?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I'd also like the answer to this, I write but I cannot fathom enough ****s to do anything about it. So not written a word in months.
    What do you write? :teeth:

SophisticatedSophie :beard:

If I had any kind of creative talent in anything from writing to painting I would get my inspiration from Fantasy, countryside landscapes (I did my GCSE art on some guy that did water colour paintings of mountains and stuff in natural conditions). Like I would like to combine real landscapes with fantasy like lord of the rings, Like when the fellowship have to hide from Saruman's crows, it looks just like that near where I live. I'd like to stick in castles and stuff. Maybe a dragon :teeth:

if I were to write a book I'd probably do something sci-fi related with left wing themes. Iain Banks's The Culture is what made me politically aware really. So I'd maybe write something about a futuristic society that is on the verge of post scarcity but is in tremendous political turmoil. There would be different political factions that are based on turmoil of the early 20th century Europe. Would draw heavily form Spanish Civil war. Would do stuff with all those difference political philosophies and history. Throw in some transhumanism etc.

But I'm **** and have no work ethic so it aint gonna happen.

I have been teaching myself how to use and program in Game Maker since I am unemployed for something to do. Some of my favorite video games have been made in that by individual people. If I have any hope ever making anything creative it would be something like that since it is very mathsy and engineering like, since that is the only thing I am at all decent at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Exactly! I hate feeling this way though I feel like I'm wasting time and potential!:ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

Fiction. Trying to write a book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    I have no idea about art. I wish I did. But I would assume coming up with things is a pretty universal thing.
    Perhaps look through collections of other art just to get an idea of concepts and things you could use in your own? Could make notes and brainstorm? Do other things which you are fond of, even if mundane?
    I feel like I need to create a project of some sort like we used to do at school, because that really helps the ideas flow when you are studying a topic/artist, so I may have to undertake some research! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Ketamine...

But seriously you should try and develop your own kind of niche or something when drawing celebrities like, draw them over a really weird background or place, or something, or just don't take any notice of me because I know nothing about art, but, if you have a niche it's like having a whole area of your own to play around with... kind of like The Smiths did with music...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)

If I had any kind of creative talent in anything from writing to painting I would get my inspiration from Fantasy, countryside landscapes (I did my GCSE art on some guy that did water colour paintings of mountains and stuff in natural conditions). Like I would like to combine real landscapes with fantasy like lord of the rings, Like when the fellowship have to hide from Saruman's crows, it looks just like that near where I live. I'd like to stick in castles and stuff. Maybe a dragon :teeth:

if I were to write a book I'd probably do something sci-fi related with left wing themes. Iain Banks's The Culture is what made me politically aware really. So I'd maybe write something about a futuristic society that is on the verge of post scarcity but is in tremendous political turmoil. There would be different political factions that are based on turmoil of the early 20th century Europe. Would draw heavily form Spanish Civil war. Would do stuff with all those difference political philosophies and history. Throw in some transhumanism etc.

But I'm **** and have no work ethic so it aint gonna happen.

I have been teaching myself how to use and program in Game Maker since I am unemployed for something to do. Some of my favorite video games have been made in that by individual people. If I have any hope ever making anything creative it would be something like that since it is very mathsy and engineering like, since that is the only thing I am at all decent at.
    Yeah you should definitely try and create a game! Do anything to release your creativity, anything is better than nothing as the saying goes... I want to be inspired by the landscape as well, I took a photograph of this amazing sunset when I was in Devon and I could see it in the form of a painting just made out of horizontal lines

ReputationRep:
    Artist's block is definitely a real thing. It's like a depression for creativity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John55)
    Ketamine...

But seriously you should try and develop your own kind of niche or something when drawing celebrities like, draw them over a really weird background or place, or something, or just don't take any notice of me because I know nothing about art, but, if you have a niche it's like having a whole area of your own to play around with... kind of like The Smiths did with music...
    I have definitely thought about having an unusual background/ incorporating something different into them, but you are right I need to play around I think. I've actually just had a few ideas right now!! Triggered! :happy2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Artist's block is definitely a real thing. It's like a depression for creativity.
    That is exactly how I'd describe it, I feel like I'm letting myself down because I'm not creating much

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.