The Student Room Group

UCL Medical Applicants 2016 Entry

Didn't see any thread for UCL Medical applicants for 2016 entry so started one.

I'm currently a first year medical student at UCL, so i've gone through this entire process and made it out alive.

So lets get this thread active.

Why are people applying to UCL Med? How is BMAT Preparation going? Where else has everyone applied?
BMAT prep is stressing me out :frown: feel like im not doing enough
Original post by UCLMedic15
Didn't see any thread for UCL Medical applicants for 2016 entry so started one.

I'm currently a first year medical student at UCL, so i've gone through this entire process and made it out alive.

So lets get this thread active.

Why are people applying to UCL Med? How is BMAT Preparation going? Where else has everyone applied?

Would you happen to know whether UCL considers each section of the BMAT separately, or do they want you to score consistently throughout all sections? My section 2 (and to an extent, section 3) prep are going fine, and I’m pretty confident. But section 1 is the worst, and brings my score down by so much! Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by thesuperdark
Would you happen to know whether UCL considers each section of the BMAT separately, or do they want you to score consistently throughout all sections? My section 2 (and to an extent, section 3) prep are going fine, and I’m pretty confident. But section 1 is the worst, and brings my score down by so much! Thanks!

Hey, I believe they look at each section separately and you have to get over a certain threshold in each section. This is what my mate at UCL said. :smile:
Reply 4
Hey, thanks for kicking off the thread.
How're the interviews like and what sort of BMAT marks do 'successful applicants' (like yourself) tend to have gotten? Thanks!
Original post by fizzers
Hey, thanks for kicking off the thread.
How're the interviews like and what sort of BMAT marks do 'successful applicants' (like yourself) tend to have gotten? Thanks!

The interviewers are really quite nice! The questions they ask varies from person to person, some people got questions that revolved around their PS whilst others got a load of classic medicine questions (e.g. why medicine?).
As for the BMAT, that also varies. UCL looks at at your application as a whole so there isn't a cut off however if your score is above the average then you get some extra points, likewise if it's below average then you'll lose some points. I can't remember what the average BMAT score is but I think for my year (2012) it was around 4.5 5.0 3.5A.
Reply 6
Original post by zhang599
The interviewers are really quite nice! The questions they ask varies from person to person, some people got questions that revolved around their PS whilst others got a load of classic medicine questions (e.g. why medicine?).
As for the BMAT, that also varies. UCL looks at at your application as a whole so there isn't a cut off however if your score is above the average then you get some extra points, likewise if it's below average then you'll lose some points. I can't remember what the average BMAT score is but I think for my year (2012) it was around 4.5 5.0 3.5A.

Ah I see, thank you! How're you enjoying the course?
Original post by Amoey
Hey, I believe they look at each section separately and you have to get over a certain threshold in each section. This is what my mate at UCL said. :smile:

ah right, thank you! I'd better brush up on section 1 then.
Original post by fizzers
Ah I see, thank you! How're you enjoying the course?

No worries, I will say that for the BMAT I'd aim for a at least 5.5 5.5 4A to give you a good shot :smile:

Yeah I'm enjoying it so far, just started clinics which is pretty exciting after 3 years of pre-clin :P
Regarding BMAT scores, I got this from the open day, it gives you a good idea of what you'll need. Doesn't actually seem too bad! image.jpg
After interview if you are put on the rejection list how long until you find out? Can anyone say how long it took for them to hear back from UCL after interview? Ty
Original post by CarrieRosa
After interview if you are put on the rejection list how long until you find out? Can anyone say how long it took for them to hear back from UCL after interview? Ty

They're pretty quick, you usually hear back within a week or two!

Quick Reply

Latest