Turn on thread page Beta

Half equations to full redox equations!? watch

ReputationRep:
    Really struggling to figure out how to do this. I'm doing an access course online, and my tutor is useless. This is the example.

(ClO3)- is reacted to form Cl2 and in the same reaction NO is reacted to form (NO3)-. Work out the oxidation numbers and then produce the half equations. Combine the pair of half equations obtained to give the full redox equation.

I already know that the oxidation numbers for Cl are 5 and 0, and for N are 2 and 5, but from there I have no idea what to do!? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 13rett)
    Really struggling to figure out how to do this. I'm doing an access course online, and my tutor is useless. This is the example.

(ClO3)- is reacted to form Cl2 and in the same reaction NO is reacted to form (NO3)-. Work out the oxidation numbers and then produce the half equations. Combine the pair of half equations obtained to give the full redox equation.

I already know that the oxidation numbers for Cl are 5 and 0, and for N are 2 and 5, but from there I have no idea what to do!? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Write out the two half equations and look at the number of electrons in each equation to see how you would combine them.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.