Turn on thread page Beta

Pain in my jaw watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    From stress apparently. Anyone else had this? How do you make it go away?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    I had that once....I took pain-killers.

ReputationRep:
    try and relax - when you're tense your tongue is on the roof of your mouth and if you consciously pull it away you should relax all your muscles. other than that just try and distract yourself and don't think about it, and then the next you do it should have gone away! i get it quite a lot if i'm stressed, especially in the morning when i wake up and realise i've been really tense while i was asleep. just take a deep breath, and let go, as it were!

ReputationRep:
    what did u do??? :rolleyes:i am just wondering, cause u don't get pain in the jaw for no reason

ReputationRep:
    hmm... i get that all the time. Dunno how to make it stop :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    my jaw isn't painful but it clicks when i open and close my mouth most of the time and also when i am eating, it can't be good surely. Also it has locked a few times also, ive had this for about 6 months or so, weird, you say stress? Im not sure i don't think im stressed.

Why is this?

ReputationRep:
    It's strange how much of an affect stress can have on your body. I had quite severe pains round my chest that I went to the doctor about and after checking my heart and breathing and so on he said it was probably due to stress. Now I am less stressed (exams over, school finished) and the pains have gone away.
    My dad is prone to stress too and occasionally he has panic attacks where he feels short of breath.

ReputationRep:
    im not sure why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marie55)
    It's strange how much of an affect stress can have on your body. I had quite severe pains round my chest that I went to the doctor about and after checking my heart and breathing and so on he said it was probably due to stress. Now I am less stressed (exams over, school finished) and the pains have gone away.
    My dad is prone to stress too and occasionally he has panic attacks where he feels short of breath.
    Yeah, I get those too, but I kind of guessed it was stress. Dunno why, just seemed more logical than pain in my jaw. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and I can't talk or eat properly .

ReputationRep:
    i might have something different because my jaw doesn't hurt it just aches when chewing on something hard to eat. It might be because i had to wear a retainer for something like 2 years and i stopped wearing after a year or so, maybe my jaw has moved position because of that, i will have to talk to my dentist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    i might have something different because my jaw doesn't hurt it just aches when chewing on something hard to eat. It might be because i had to wear a retainer for something like 2 years and i stopped wearing after a year or so, maybe my jaw has moved position because of that, i will have to talk to my dentist.
    I thought it might be because of my brace but my orthodontist said he'd never heard of jaw pains because of it.

ReputationRep:
    oh, well my dentist said if it is like it the next time she sees my she will do something about it, not sure what she can do but, i will have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. A friend had that. It seemed to be related to simply clenching his jaw subconsciously when he was stressed, and grinding his teeth at night. His dentist made him a mouthguard which seemed to stop him grinding his teeth during his sleep, and it got much better. Apparently, it's still a bit of a problem, but you just need to learn to hold your jaw in a more relaxed position - lips slightly apart and tongue behind your lower front teeth. If you can do that, then it should improve to the point where it's easy to live with.
    Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to mention, the problem is techinically with the TMJ (which I think stands for temporo-mandibular joint or something like that.) Might be useful if you need to ask your doctor etc. about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Forgot to mention, the problem is techinically with the TMJ (which I think stands for temporo-mandibular joint or something like that.) Might be useful if you need to ask your doctor etc. about it.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    Hi. A friend had that. It seemed to be related to simply clenching his jaw subconsciously when he was stressed, and grinding his teeth at night. His dentist made him a mouthguard which seemed to stop him grinding his teeth during his sleep, and it got much better. Apparently, it's still a bit of a problem, but you just need to learn to hold your jaw in a more relaxed position - lips slightly apart and tongue behind your lower front teeth. If you can do that, then it should improve to the point where it's easy to live with.
    Hope that helps.
    i had the same thing, lol, i'm supposed to wear a mouth guard when i sleep because i used to always have dreams that my teeth fell out (a sign of stress apparently) and in my dreams i would gnash my teeth and wake up with an aching jaw!

I only sleep with the mouth guard in about twice a month though, because it really hurts my gums...plus it looks ridiculous!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.