Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I will be sending my UCAS application off next week and I am just wondering in you guys opinions if you think I am likely to be offered a place at Southampton Universit for their computer science courses.

Current/predicted grades:

BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in IT

Last year - D*D* (9/9 Distinctions in my units that I studied)

This year - Currently doing this year's units but projected D*D*D*

GCSE:

Maths: C

English Language: C

English Literature: B

Southampton University courses and requirements:

1st - Computer Science MEng:

A-levels (or equivalent): A*AA

2nd - Computer Science BSc

A-levels (or equivalent): AAA

Those are the two courses that I will be applying for at Southampton University and I am just wondering if you believe that I have a good chance of being offered a place?

Thanks!

*Title meant to say "Am I likely to be offered a place at Southampton University", my bad
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by LeeB96)
    So I will be sending my UCAS application off next week and I am just wondering in you guys opinions if you think I am likely to be offered a place at Southampton Universit for their computer science courses.

GCSE:

Those are the two courses that I will be applying for at Southampton University and I am just wondering if you believe that I have a good chance of being offered a place?

Thanks!

*Title meant to say "Am I likely to be offered a place at Southampton University", my bad
    Their website states clearly that the AAA etc offers need to include A level mathematics.

Without A level maths you're likely to be rejected for computer science at Southampton. They do offer this course: http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programme...isations#entry (and a BSc version) which doesn't have the maths requirement - although even for ITO you need GCSE maths grade B.

ReputationRep:
    Most leading universities insist on Maths A level usually grade A or B for computer science courses. There are some that don't but they often require English Language and Maths at GCSE sometimes at grade B. Places worth investigating include Newcastle, Nottingham, Lancaster, Loughborough, Kings, Royal Holloway, Kent and Swansea. Finally you might need to resit your GCSE Maths and or English

ReputationRep:

GCSE:

Thanks!

As you are studying BTECs, not A-levels, any requirement for an A in A-level Maths is redundant. Therefore according to http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programme...-science#entry you do have a chance of an offer.

However, it is interesting that they only require a C at GCSE Maths for a Computer Science course. I suspect that this is a university-wide requirement and that the CS dept might be a little sceptical about whether your mathematical ability is sufficient, particularly for entry to the MEng. As swanseajack suggests, you should perhaps resit GCSE Maths.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    As you are studying BTECs, not A-levels, any requirement for an A in A-level Maths is redundant. Therefore according to http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/programme...-science#entry you do have a chance of an offer.

However, it is interesting that they only require a C at GCSE Maths for a Computer Science course. I suspect that this is a university-wide requirement and that the CS dept might be a little sceptical about whether your mathematical ability is sufficient, particularly for entry to the MEng. As swanseajack suggests, you should perhaps resit GCSE Maths.
    With BTECs an A level maths equivalent would still be required. As it says in the page you linked to "You will be expected to attain an equivalent standard (or higher) to an A level applicant." which means a grade and equivalent knowledge to someone with an A in A level maths.

An IT BTEC diploma does not fulfil that requirement unfortunately. The units involved are focused on IT and not mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    With BTECs an A level maths equivalent would still be required. As it says in the page you linked to "You will be expected to attain an equivalent standard (or higher) to an A level applicant." which means a grade and equivalent knowledge to someone with an A in A level maths.

An IT BTEC diploma does not fulfil that requirement unfortunately. The units involved are focused on IT and not mathematics.
    Hmm, yes I missed that. Although not stated explicitly that is indeed most likely the case. And the OP's C at GCSE is not going to reassure them at all.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is most top universities require a level Maths GRADE A or sometimes B for Computer Science yet sadly students are not advised of this by schools and colleges and end up taken BTEC ICT without knowing this. The same applies maths is nearly always required for Economics and science A level is often required for science courses. OPs best option will be to investigate fully and apply where he meets the entrance requirement. I have listed a few to look at previously

ReputationRep:
    For Computer Science, Software Engineering or Web Science at Southampton you would need DDM (BTEC) + A in Maths (A level)

You could do the BSc/MComp in IT in Organisations course at Southampton as it shares a lot of modules with Computer Science, in fact i would say it is basically a Computer Science degree judging by the modules.m, just the name thats different and a few business modules, they require DDD/D*DD for this course (no A level Maths required)

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately during my GCSE period, I was not at all focussed on my education and I fear it will come back to haunt me now. I have contacted them informing them of the situation so I'll see what they say back.

With regards to the other course that was suggested, how much would it effect my future career opportunities? Obviously it is not as desirable as a computer science degree and also it still requires a grade B in maths so would that rule me out?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately during my GCSE period, I was not at all focussed on my education and I fear it will come back to haunt me now. I have contacted them informing them of the situation so I'll see what they say back.

With regards to the other course that was suggested, how much would it effect my future career opportunities? Obviously it is not as desirable as a computer science degree and also it still requires a grade B in maths so would that rule me out?
    I thought it just says 'a good grade' not strictly a B?

EDIT: It does say a B

ReputationRep:
    Just search the requirements for the course you want to do, youll see if you've got enough

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.