This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I have heard rumors that test centres have a certain pass rate per day that they have to stick to?! ie, 50% of pupils will fail per day and 50% will pass?

Anybody else heard this?
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I have heard rumors that test centres have a certain pass rate per day that they have to stick to?! ie, 50% of pupils will fail per day and 50% will pass?

Anybody else heard this?
I assume you're referring to driving practical tests?

I've never heard of a rate which they have to achieve, but the average yearly rates achieved by all centres in the UK for each year from 1996 until 2001 can be found at http://www.2pass.co.uk/passrates.htm. If they are supposed to have a 50:50 pass:fail ratio then the above URL seems to imply that they're not doing very well at maintaining it!
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't think it would be very fair to have a certain pass rate to stick to. Think about it, if someone shows they can drive safely enough, why fail them?
Rich
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
I don't think it would be very fair to have a certain pass rate to stick to. Think about it, if someone shows they can drive safely enough, why fail them?
Yeah it sounds pretty illogical to me. There's no law of nature that 50% of people taking a driving test per day will be good enough to pass and the other 50% will not. It would make no sense to impose such a restriction.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i don't know about set pass rates but i do know that all examiners are a lot harder on young males sitting their tests than any other group. for example, i was failed for pulling off "5 seconds too early" from a busy road where no-one would give me way (despite waiting for nearly 10 mins) and i only had 3 minors. whilst a girl at my school of the same age pulled out too early at a roundabout, causing a car coming from the right to stop and beep their horn at her, she had 13 minors and was still passed.

these are just two examples but from my experience it seems that examiners are a lot harder on 17-19 year old males who they probably think of as "boy racers". anyone else agree?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
i agree, failed twice and both on the most stupid things, my driver instructer told me both times that if i did the same test 2 years ago i would have passed easily . Examiers are a lot harder on young males and its just not fair.
NEo111
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
i completely agree with you.

think about all the pressure test centres have on them about safe driving, overcrowded roads etc so they are very hard on new drivers especially 17-20 year olds. In the past like 5 years ago tests were easier, just think of all the fools you see driving around with driving licences who passed like 10 years ago but driver really danagerously.

now standards are too high and you will fail for really small things which are nothing.

and most of all dont forget the cost factor. Taking a driving test is expensive, £39 for 45 mins of time with an examier, plus paying for the car another £17,

Thats a lot of money for any1 let along a 17 year old with low income.

The more you fail the more you have to pay, and the richer the bas**ands get,

its just not fair.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I just failed my test for going too slow in a housing estate. In the summer holidays. With loads of kids playing outside.
And they say kill your speed not a child.

What kind of message are they sending out?

I definitely think they are harder on boys too. I know a girl who crashed into the fence on the way back into the test centre and still passed!!
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
I just failed my test for going too slow in a housing estate. In the summer holidays. With loads of kids playing outside.
And they say kill your speed not a child.

What kind of message are they sending out?

I definitely think they are harder on boys too. I know a girl who crashed into the fence on the way back into the test centre and still passed!!

i was failed once for driving too slow and on the actually test i passed had 3 minors for driving too slow...test centres have to pass about 37% of candidates.

however..they must have thought i was a boy coz they were horrible to me and i failed 3 times. hmm. mayb he was blind.

love Katy ***
Toyosi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I don't think there is an actual quota. It just depends on the examiner. I got a right fussy one on my second test who gave me stupid minors for speeding (33mph for like 2 minutes is not a crime people), distance from other vehicles which I still don't know why i got, and then he failed me because apparantly on oncoming white van had to swerve to avoid me as I overtook a parked car on a really wide road. I think i would have noticed if a white van was swerving in front of me.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
There are no quotas for passing and failing students. If you are good enough, you will pass, if you aren't, you won't. Simple as that.
Sophdoph
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
A lot of it will always depend on the examiner, it's mainly their judgement that'll pass and fail people and some are always going to be mean and fussy :rolleyes: One of my friends has just passed with no minors which basically makes her a "perfect driver" and when I went out with her last week she took about 5 goes reversing into a parking bay, so the system is hardly foolproof
CheeseMonkey
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
to keep traffic levels down and to reduce pollution (thats just an idea from another perspective)
not1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
ive been failed 3 times with a major fault on each one. i dont think they were that bad though (indicating wrong way, pulling out too soon, reversing onto pavement which was actually lowered for an entrance)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads