Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I have 2 accommodation choices: 1 in Cecil Road, Erdington and the other is Wallace Road, Selly Park. As someone's not from the UK, I'm not familiar with these 2 areas. Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Some initial research suggests Selly Park since it's a little nicer, though much longer distance to Aston University. I don't mind it being that much further, what I mind is if there's something nice in Erdington and I'm missing out during my exchange program

ReputationRep:
    Erdington isn't the nicest area, coming from someone who grew up in Birmingham but it does have very good links to the university, the city centre and other popular city areas in general. Not familiar with Selly Park though!

ReputationRep:
    Welp nevermind, I got another good offer in Eldon Road, Edgbaston. I'll probably take that. Thanks for your input nevertheless

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toober)
    So I have 2 accommodation choices: 1 in Cecil Road, Erdington and the other is Wallace Road, Selly Park. As someone's not from the UK, I'm not familiar with these 2 areas. Any pointers or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Some initial research suggests Selly Park since it's a little nicer, though much longer distance to Aston University. I don't mind it being that much further, what I mind is if there's something nice in Erdington and I'm missing out during my exchange program
    The student areas in edgbaston aren't nice, selly park is nice but it takes longer than erdington to get to uni.

Erdington is ok BUT it is close to Sutton Coldfield which is nice (I live there) and extremely quick via train/bus/car to get to the city centre (even quicker than edgbaston believe it or not)

I've lived in the city all my life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    The student areas in edgbaston aren't nice, selly park is nice but it takes longer than erdington to get to uni.

Erdington is ok BUT it is close to Sutton Coldfield which is nice (I live there) and extremely quick via train/bus/car to get to the city centre (even quicker than edgbaston believe it or not)

I've lived in the city all my life

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the insight I didn't get the Edgbaston because I didn't like the room offered. Do you have any idea where Cecil Road, Erdington is? I did check on google map and other forums, but I'm pretty blind to maps in general I've heard some horror stories from people living in some parts of Erdington. I like the night life, so I want to live in a bit safer area for those walking trips home during the night

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the insight I didn't get the Edgbaston because I didn't like the room offered. Do you have any idea where Cecil Road, Erdington is? I did check on google map and other forums, but I'm pretty blind to maps in general I've heard some horror stories from people living in some parts of Erdington. I like the night life, so I want to live in a bit safer area for those walking trips home during the night
    Yes I know where it is. It's near the six ways island it's fairly safe round there but you wouldn't go out in erdington anyway you would go to Sutton Coldfield or the city centre both of which are five minutes away. A bus will pass on the main road that Cecil road is a side road off every few minutes to takes you to Sutton or City centre and the train station isn't that far away they are every ten or twenty minutes depending on the time of day

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Yes I know where it is. It's near the six ways island it's fairly safe round there but you wouldn't go out in erdington anyway you would go to Sutton Coldfield or the city centre both of which are five minutes away. A bus will pass on the main road that Cecil road is a side road off every few minutes to takes you to Sutton or City centre and the train station isn't that far away they are every ten or twenty minutes depending on the time of day

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cheers! Perfect answer, probably what I was looking for. I don't mean to go out in Erdington, but the trip home from the bus stop But yeah, if it's fairly safe then I guess it's ok. I'll take your word for it. If i get stabbed, I'll haunt you ;D

ReputationRep:
    Cheers! Perfect answer, probably what I was looking for. I don't mean to go out in Erdington, but the trip home from the bus stop But yeah, if it's fairly safe then I guess it's ok. I'll take your word for it. If i get stabbed, I'll haunt you ;D
    There is a bus stop at the end of your road. Gravelly hill and erdington train station are 5 or ten minutes walk away in opposite directions and they are both stops on the Lichfield to redditch line which passes through the city from north to south.

Basically unless your doing a day trip of some sort I think you will be using the bus mostly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh and there is a 24 hour shop very close to you as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great Thanks a lot. I think I'll go with this place then. That 24 hour shop sounds very attractive to me.
    Why can't landlords be as specific as you

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great Thanks a lot. I think I'll go with this place then. That 24 hour shop sounds very attractive to me.
    Why can't landlords be as specific as you
    I dunno, always best to ask a local

If you need anything else just ask

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.