Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

China have done us over. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The collapse of the steel industry is on its way- he his finishing off Thatchers job in the 1980's- Yes there may be an overconsumption but that is not the fault of the people who work in the UK steel industry. Having family in this industry they have seen the full decline of it. Why doesn't Cameron do anything about it because he his too thick and does not care as they do not earn enough money. But getting my bias out of the way I can see China's strategy flooding Europe with cheaper steel then smashing the prices up when we do not have our own supplies. You may laugh at this post know but come back in 5 years time and this will probably be true

ReputationRep:
    I'm more worried about them building and/or running our nuclear power stations, given their human rights and environmental record.

ReputationRep:
    China now owns us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    I'm more worried about them building and/or running our nuclear power stations, given their human rights and environmental record.
    Thats a concern aswell but I'm worried about how the thousands of people who lost their jobs are going to cope

ReputationRep:
    Overall industrial output rose under Thatcher. It wasn't Labour that got the big car giants to invest in the North. It rose under Major as well.
    Under Blair it stagnated and output was decimated under Brown.
    Thatcher destroying British industry is such an utter bull**** myth.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite dismayed that for a country with a proud history of technological innovation and one that pioneered nuclear power now needs someone else to build their own nuclear power stations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    China now owns us.
    one Tsrian wanted to lease a city to the Chinese!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    Overall industrial output rose under Thatcher. It wasn't Labour that got the big car giants to invest in the North. It rose under Major as well.
    Under Blair it stagnated and output was decimated under Brown.
    Thatcher destroying British industry is such an utter bull**** myth.
    Having parents working in the steel industry i can confirm she did over the 11 years from 79-90 less employees. Chinese imports did a lot to that though. The industry was much better and thrived under Harold Wilson who would of landslided thatcher if she stood in 74'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stochasticking)
    one Tsrian wanted to lease a city to the Chinese!!
    They're out to buy the island forget the cities!

ReputationRep:
    They're out to buy the island forget the cities!
    Did you also hear on BBC news yesterday that the government are thinking of selling their debt to CHinese investors to fund the Chinese central bank. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stochasticking)
    Did you also hear on BBC news yesterday that the government are thinking of selling their debt to CHinese investors to fund the Chinese central bank. :lolwut:
    Haha that's a first! Well they already own US debt why not British goddam it!

ReputationRep:
    China will have a stranglehold over the UK. What I want to do to the Chancellor of Exchequer :damnmate: hah

ReputationRep:
    Then they will QE it a Corbyn policy which Cameron does not like in UK Parliment but will happily let the chinese buy our. No not oyr the baners debts and QE it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    Thats a concern aswell but I'm worried about how the thousands of people who lost their jobs are going to cope
    Hopefully get a job in a company who's future has been secured by Chinese investment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    I'm quite dismayed that for a country with a proud history of technological innovation and one that pioneered nuclear power now needs someone else to build their own nuclear power stations.
    It is embarrassing and its a direct result of successive governments cowardice and pragmatism that there is now a massive skill gap in the UK nuclear sector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZZTop1)
    The collapse of the steel industry is on its way- he his finishing off Thatchers job in the 1980's- Yes there may be an overconsumption but that is not the fault of the people who work in the UK steel industry. Having family in this industry they have seen the full decline of it. Why doesn't Cameron do anything about it because he his too thick and does not care as they do not earn enough money. But getting my bias out of the way I can see China's strategy flooding Europe with cheaper steel then smashing the prices up when we do not have our own supplies. You may laugh at this post know but come back in 5 years time and this will probably be true
    So what are you expecting Cameron to do? Subsidise an industry that cannot compete with global competition or slap tariffs on Chinese imports and start a trade war with the world's second largest economy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    So what are you expecting Cameron to do? Subsidise an industry that cannot compete with global competition or slap tariffs on Chinese imports and start a trade war with the world's second largest economy?
    It would ge different if it was in his own constituency. I'm not saying that all i am saying is the day we stop producing will be the day the Chinese and Indians will slap the prices up. Jobs have been lost due to this many engineers who started in the 70s have no qualifications as they would have jobs secured before leaving school. We always get the wrong side of the bargain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    It is embarrassing and its a direct result of successive governments cowardice and pragmatism that there is now a massive skill gap in the UK nuclear sector.
    Agreed.

This is why I'm not too bothered about the Chinese investment in nuclear. It's going to kick start a sector and create long term energy and supply, job and wealth creation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    Agreed.

This is why I'm not too bothered about the Chinese investment in nuclear. It's going to kick start a sector and create long term energy and supply, job and wealth creation.
    The job creation (at least directly, in the short term) is going to have to be filled by immigrants surely, seeing as we have already established that there is a fundamental skills gap in this country?

ReputationRep:
    These are the percentages of Chinese investment in UK companies.http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34542147
    Their investments are not only confined to companies and properties in London. They have also started buying up schools.
    https://www.tes.com/news/school-news...rivate-schools

The government in England should be praised because it is trying to repair the economy. It has no choice but to entice foreign investments. How else is your health services and education right up to college remain free? How else are you going to be able to receive your various benefits on a monthly basis without delays?

This is what we learnt about England in school.
    1. Most of its people are poor.
    2. The number of available jobs are low.
    3. The university fees tripled and many will spend their lifetimes trying to clear that student loan.
    4. The number of graduate unemployment is so high.
    5. The number of police officers and teachers continue to be cut.
    My guess is that more overseas investment into England will bolster her economy and return it to a major economy power it once once?

I was on the International Baccalaureate program. We had no choice but to study about United Kingdom and all her problems in a subject known as Theory of Knowledge (T.O.K).

The steel industry in England collapsed because Chinese steel is way cheaper.
    http://news.sky.com/story/1570552/ch...l-steel-market
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-floods-market

Tata Steel which is owned by one of the world's top billionaires announced they cut 1200 jobs in England.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/business-34578119

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.