The Student Room Group

Photosyntheses - Light dependant stage

Why are the ATP and NADPH necessary in the light dependant stage?!
Original post by Stacyoh

ATP and reduced NADP are produced for the next stage of photosynthesis, the Calvin cycle, or the light independent reactions.
Original post by Stacyoh

ATP and NADPH are PRODUCED in the light dependent stage. Do you mean light independent?
Reply 4
Original post by Docjones1
ATP and NADPH are PRODUCED in the light dependent stage. Do you mean light independent?

Yeah so they are produced...... although the question was 'Why are ATP and NADPH necessary in the light dependant stage', I agree with where you are coming from.

They are produced during photolysis aren't they when replacing the electrons lost from the chlorophyll producing the NADPH?!
Original post by Stacyoh
Yeah so they are produced...... although the question was 'Why are ATP and NADPH necessary in the light dependant stage', I agree with where you are coming from.

They are produced during photolysis aren't they when replacing the electrons lost from the chlorophyll producing the NADPH?!

NADPH is produced from NADP, a cofactor, H+ ions from photolysis and electrons from being passed through photosystem I in cyclic photophosphorylation.
ATP is produced from chemiosmosis by pumping H+ ions into the stroma across the thylakoid membrane from the thylakoid space using energy released from the initial electron being passed down the electron transport chain.
Reply 6
Did you just spell photosynthesis wrong?
Reply 7
Original post by RonnieRJ
Did you just spell photosynthesis wrong?

oops my mistake! Thats embarrassing :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Docjones1
NADPH is produced from NADP, a cofactor, H+ ions from photolysis and electrons from being passed through photosystem I in cyclic photophosphorylation.
ATP is produced from chemiosmosis by pumping H+ ions into the stroma across the thylakoid membrane from the thylakoid space using energy released from the initial electron being passed down the electron transport chain.

Thank you so much, thats helped loads!!! :smile:
Original post by Stacyoh
Thank you so much, thats helped loads!!! :smile:

no problem

Quick Reply

Latest