Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Golf club asks for £125k memebership fee with 16k annually watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Wentworth, which was bought by the Beijing-based Reignwood Group in September 2014, has told existing members they must stump up £100,000.

Annual fees on top of that are to rise from £8,000 to £16,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-34591272

Chinese are now buying golf courses!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Wentworth, which was bought by the Beijing-based Reignwood Group in September 2014, has told existing members they must stump up £100,000.

Annual fees on top of that are to rise from £8,000 to £16,000.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-34591272

Chinese are now buying golf courses!!
    So they've bought a golf course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    So they've bought a golf course.

30-40 billion worth of deals done today

ReputationRep:

30-40 billion worth of deals done today
    Excellent news isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    Excellent news isn't it?
    For China yes and for the 0.01% of this country.

ReputationRep:
    For China yes and for the 0.01% of this country.
    A little bit more than 0.01%.

It just seems to the usual bitter people who are upset. It's as if there's a subset of society who want everything to fail.

Weren't you telling everybody we were heading for a triple dip recession? How'd that one work out.

ReputationRep:
    It's like a high net worth meeting point for networking

ReputationRep:

It just seems to the usual bitter people who are upset. It's as if there's a subset of society who want everything to fail.

Weren't you telling everybody we were heading for a triple dip recession? How'd that one work out.
    Clearly they are just selling this small island off bit by bit. It's being carved up like a Turkey.

I always knew China was on the rise but never expected them to buy it up so soon. What next?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    It's like a high net worth meeting point for networking
    Apparently will only have 250 members so unlikely much networking will be going on, considering the size.

ReputationRep:
    Clearly they are just selling this small island off bit by bit. It's being carved up like a Turkey.

I always knew China was on the rise but never expected them to buy it up so soon. What next?
    Are you upset? Did you want to join this golf club?

ReputationRep:
    Are you upset? Did you want to join this golf club?
    Not upset about the golf course, i visit my local one which has £520 for an annual subscription.

Not upset about China buying the UK either. Just need to let the masses know, this is what you voted for.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really concerned with them owning a golf course...

I'm far more concerned with seeing the Prime Minister of this once great country acting like a trained dog in exchange for some Chinese pocket change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)

I'm far more concerned with seeing the Prime Minister of this once great country acting like a trained dog in exchange for some Chinese pocket change.
    it's all apart of the package. We give them a few golf courses, nuclear power contracts, corporations and they give us a leash for Dave. Sound's fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quantex)

You're acting as though you've never seen a state visit before. This is what happens. And it's what happens when we go to them. It's what we in the real world like to call 'normal'.

ReputationRep:

There's a book I'd recommend to you , Private Island: Why Britain belongs to someone Else

But I won't as you clearly don't need to read it.

It would depress you anyway.

But you might want to read the reviews instead.

ReputationRep:

Because the economy is soaring and everyone is feeling the benefit amirite? Austerity isn't even a thing, ignoring the fact that loss is the public's responsibility while profit is privatized.

I'm not too fussed about a golf course though, and China is a glass tiger, it's already seeing slowed growth, the bust in the boom cycle for China is coming, it will be ugly, maybe another global recession, so don't fret about not getting your triple-dip.

I don't have an issue with international trade and state visits, but China is a pretty repugnant totalitarian regime, and the UK government takes no care to protect British interests beyond their own short term gain.

Modern economics is ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    this is par for the course

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentus-anonymous)
    Because the economy is soaring and everyone is feeling the benefit amirite? Austerity isn't even a thing, ignoring the fact that loss is the public's responsibility while profit is privatized.

I'm not too fussed about a golf course though, and China is a glass tiger, it's already seeing slowed growth, the bust in the boom cycle for China is coming, it will be ugly, maybe another global recession, so don't fret about not getting your triple-dip.

I don't have an issue with international trade and state visits, but China is a pretty repugnant totalitarian regime, and the UK government takes no care to protect British interests beyond their own short term gain.

Modern economics is ****ed.
    I don't doubt China will have a recession but I don't see that happening for some time. The doom merchants are worried about China only growing 5%.

But as Europe's sovereign debt crisis didn't cause collapse in China, I doubt if a blip in China's economy will spell disaster for Europe.

You may want to check your figures for the rest of your rant. If you're that unhappy, then please feel free to refuse to use welfare, healthcare, public transport, housing etc as way of your protest.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the harm in such clubs, its what you pay for access to individuals who have money to throw at your latest ventures.

Doubt I'd bother paying that much although I do plan to take up golf and network with the managerial class to climb that greasy pole.

ReputationRep:
    I don't doubt China will have a recession but I don't see that happening for some time. The doom merchants are worried about China only growing 5%.

But as Europe's sovereign debt crisis didn't cause collapse in China, I doubt if a blip in China's economy will spell disaster for Europe.

You may want to check your figures for the rest of your rant. If you're that unhappy, then please feel free to refuse to use welfare, healthcare, public transport, housing etc as way of your protest.
    Agreed. The service sector in China is still growing at a rate above the global average and makes up close to half the economy for now, once large enough that service sector growth will nullify China's loss of pound shop manufacturing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.