Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to Hertfordshire, Southampton Solent, Harper Adams and University of the arts London. I feel like none of these universities are good or are seen as good in the eyes of employers. I only do 2 Alevels and an AS after failing one last year, So I don't know whether to stay on and complete the third Alevel and go somewhere considered better or move on and go to uni this year! Will employers look at the university I go to and think differently!
    I would like to study Advertising or Marketing
    Please help!

ReputationRep:
    I would highly recommend Southampton Solent, I'm currently in my first year studying Business Management and the course so far has been very good. The lecturers are enthusiastic and passionate about what they do, and they all have real life experience in business so they don't just read off powerpoint slides like other universities. I finished college with 3 A-levels (CCD) so I struggled to find places I would get accepted into, but Solent was definitely a good choice. They are big on employability and so far after only being here for 3 months, they've put on several networking conferences and a placement festival. The university also allows you to do extra qualifications like Google Analytics and the PRINCE 2 foundation qualification.

Overall I would definitely suggest coming to Solent as they have great opportunities, regardless of how well you did at college.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by niccan)
    I am applying to Hertfordshire, Southampton Solent, Harper Adams and University of the arts London. I feel like none of these universities are good or are seen as good in the eyes of employers. I only do 2 Alevels and an AS after failing one last year, So I don't know whether to stay on and complete the third Alevel and go somewhere considered better or move on and go to uni this year! Will employers look at the university I go to and think differently!
    I would like to study Advertising or Marketing
    Please help!
    Hi there,

I've just graduated from the BA (Hons) Advertising course at Solent and now working at the university in their marketing department!

I really can't fault the course, I learned so much about advertising and marketing - I went to university not quite knowing what I wanted to do as in A Level, I studied Business, Media Studies and ICT. So after applying to universities I combined all of those subjects and found Advertising.

The lecturers are so friendly, the seminars and lectures are so immersive and productive. Yes Solent isn't seen as the best contender for overall university; but if you look into their employment rate, it's definitely up there - throughout the course I got to visit so many agencies in the south. Ranging from talks from Saatchi and Saatchi, visiting AIA Worldwide, and having your portfolio judged by Grey.

You not only learn the theory, learn the idea generation and meet the agencies - you do the work, you compete in live briefs from real agencies, real companies and you also get a chance to join Solent Creatives, Solent's own in-house advertising agency that offers work experience and freelance opportunities for all years.

I had the best time on that course, everyone in my year was passionate which made my experience amazing. I would highly recommend Solent .

- Kath .

ReputationRep:
    Hi Niccan

I think that you are quite right to think ahead about employment and your career, however it is hard to get a realistic whole-industry view on these universities, as it can be very subjective!

I went to Harper Adams and graduated from there four years ago with an Agri-Food Marketing degree. One thing I would say about Harper, is that it has a excellent reputation in relevant industries. As there is a placement year built into the degree, students get real-life exposure to industry, putting into practice theory learnt on the course and gain lots of personal development skills. It is also a really good opportunity to network and secure a job for when you graduate. Lots of my friends went back to work for their placement employer. It also meant that you literally hit the ground running once you finish, and you're one step ahead of every other graduate!!

Although I think that university reputation is important, employers are generally more concerned about you as a person. If you can prove that you have thrown yourself into university life, studied hard, gained a good degree and gained experience - that will count for a lot!

I loved my time at Harper, my course was really varied and prepared us well to enter any point in the food chain. My first graduate job out of Harper was working for the Happy Egg Co. doing marketing - it was so fun! And I was lucky enough to work on all aspects of the brand - from digital marketing, PR, pack designs and involved in the production of the latest TV advert. I really do believe that I secured this role based on my placement year, as I was able to demonstrate lots of existing experience and 'get up and go' to progress my career. It wasn't an advertised role, but came about after I met somebody at a networking event at the university.

Hopefully this helps you decide - it is a really tricky decision! I would recommend visiting lots of Open Days at you'll know instantly as soon as you step foot on the campus.

Best of Luck : )
    A

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 10, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.