Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If someone doesn't mind spending a little time, can they explain a step missed in the mark scheme for June 2001 S4 Q3 c)

Paper: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp...W-QP-Jun01.pdf
    Mark Scheme: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gceasa/qp...W-MS-Jun01.pdf

In the mark scheme, on their normal distribution diagram, where does the value 0.727 come from? I'm fine with the standardising bit, (finding the z value), but have a mindblock on where to go from there!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    hi, basically with you look up, on the normal distribution tables, the probability which corresponds to 0.603 (your z value), which is 0.727. then since you want the probability of exceeding 1.3, you just calculate (1-0.727). Hope this makes sense, namrata x

ReputationRep:
    yeah pretty much what NIKSIP said:

1) you standardise the x variable (1.3 in this case)

2) That give 0.603 which you look up in the Z-tables BUT as you can't look up to that accuracy you just look up 0.60 which is 0.72575.

3) The question asks for the probablity that it EXCEEDS 1.3. So therefore you do 1 - 0.72575 = 0.274

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xskater)
    2) That give 0.603 which you look up in the Z-tables BUT as you can't look up to that accuracy you just look up 0.60 which is 0.72575.
    Ah that was the bit that got me, I was looking for the exact value

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.