Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

HELP with homework watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 470759

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the best...but here's what I know.

-Graphite is made up of a covalent bonding. This means it is quite strong so it would last longer in the drill.
    -It has a high melting point so it wouldn't melt or bend or anything.
    -The electrons inside of it are free to move so conducts electricity (don't know if this is relevant to the question. Im not very drill-savvy pmsl)

-Leah ;3

ReputationRep:
    Graphite has a layered structure held together by covalent bonds. These layers are uniform and easily slide over each other when a force is applied, hence the slippery nature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icantfeelmyface)
    Graphite has a layered structure held together by covalent bonds. These layers are uniform and easily slide over each other when a force is applied, hence the slippery nature.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Much better answer then I gave, ive learnt something there. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    To further this, carbon atoms in graphite bond to three other carbon atoms. This forms a trigonal planar structure and so graphite is structured in planes. These planes are held together by weak Van der Waals forces. These forces are caused by the delocalised electron from each carbon atom (since it forms three bonds, there is a spare electron). This gives rise to it's 'slippery' nature.

The delocalised electron allows a current to pass through graphite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeahJade)
    I'm not the best...but here's what I know.

-Graphite is made up of a covalent bonding. This means it is quite strong so it would last longer in the drill.
    -It has a high melting point so it wouldn't melt or bend or anything.
    -The electrons inside of it are free to move so conducts electricity (don't know if this is relevant to the question. Im not very drill-savvy pmsl)

-Leah ;3
    Thanks helped very much

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.