Relationship between mathematic ability and everyday decision making

Watch
carlos10000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
If you are talented at maths, do you find that your ability to solve practical problems and your ability to reason and argue with people is better than most? Are you able to give examples of this? I think what I am trying to articulate is, does mathematical thinking transition outside of the academic world?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by carlos10000)
If you are talented at maths, do you find that your ability to solve practical problems and your ability to reason and argue with people is better than most?
I think that is one of those questions you can never answer. Correlation does not imply causation and all that. There will be some mathematicians who are brilliant at debating. But then there are some brilliant artists, historians and politicians who are also good at debating.

Mathematics in itself has problem solving at its heart so naturally, if you do lots of maths you become good at problem solving. But just because you can solve complex mathematical conundrums does not mean you would have any advantage when it came to fixing your car engine.
lai812matthew
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
correlation coefficient (pearson) = -1 for me
carlos10000
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
I think that is one of those questions you can never answer. Correlation does not imply causation and all that. There will be some mathematicians who are brilliant at debating. But then there are some brilliant artists, historians and politicians who are also good at debating.

Mathematics in itself has problem solving at its heart so naturally, if you do lots of maths you become good at problem solving. But just because you can solve complex mathematical conundrums does not mean you would have any advantage when it came to fixing your car engine.
Do you think for example, a relationship problem with your partner could be worked out and solved as though it were a mathematical pro b lem?
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've known a few really smart mathematicians over the years, some can barely tie their shoe laces.
BlueSam3
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
OK, number one: there is effectively no such thing as mathematical talent. To be more specific: I don't know anybody I'd describe as having such, and neither has Terrance Tao. Beyond extremely baseline ability to think about things, it's almost entirely a matter of willingness to work. That being said: working in mathematics does train you to think in certain ways, that may well help in many ways with other things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (180)
14.5%
I'm not sure (57)
4.59%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (367)
29.57%
I have already dropped out (36)
2.9%
I'm not a current university student (601)
48.43%

Watched Threads