Turn on thread page Beta

Relationship between mathematic ability and everyday decision making watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If you are talented at maths, do you find that your ability to solve practical problems and your ability to reason and argue with people is better than most? Are you able to give examples of this? I think what I am trying to articulate is, does mathematical thinking transition outside of the academic world?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlos10000)
    If you are talented at maths, do you find that your ability to solve practical problems and your ability to reason and argue with people is better than most?
    I think that is one of those questions you can never answer. Correlation does not imply causation and all that. There will be some mathematicians who are brilliant at debating. But then there are some brilliant artists, historians and politicians who are also good at debating.

Mathematics in itself has problem solving at its heart so naturally, if you do lots of maths you become good at problem solving. But just because you can solve complex mathematical conundrums does not mean you would have any advantage when it came to fixing your car engine.

ReputationRep:
    correlation coefficient (pearson) = -1 for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I think that is one of those questions you can never answer. Correlation does not imply causation and all that. There will be some mathematicians who are brilliant at debating. But then there are some brilliant artists, historians and politicians who are also good at debating.

Mathematics in itself has problem solving at its heart so naturally, if you do lots of maths you become good at problem solving. But just because you can solve complex mathematical conundrums does not mean you would have any advantage when it came to fixing your car engine.
    Do you think for example, a relationship problem with your partner could be worked out and solved as though it were a mathematical pro b lem?

ReputationRep:
    I've known a few really smart mathematicians over the years, some can barely tie their shoe laces.

ReputationRep:
    OK, number one: there is effectively no such thing as mathematical talent. To be more specific: I don't know anybody I'd describe as having such, and neither has Terrance Tao. Beyond extremely baseline ability to think about things, it's almost entirely a matter of willingness to work. That being said: working in mathematics does train you to think in certain ways, that may well help in many ways with other things.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.