Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in S4 doing all National 5's, predicted an A in all 9 of my subjects. We pick our highers in January, I have seen copies of previous higher option forms and you can only choose 5 subjects but I want to do 7 highers:
    Maths
    French
    Spanish
    German
    Economics (crash higher, school don't offer it)
    Modern Studies (crash higher, school offer it)
    English

I have a natural talent for foreign languages and find them extremely easy so I have no worries about them.
    With economics, it could be self taught, or done at a college perhaps?
    And I do want to go to an English university.

Has anyone done 6 or 7 highers? and were any of them crash highers? how did you find it?
    Any other advice?

ReputationRep:
    You really do not need to do more than 5 highers. Most Uni's (in scotland anyway) don't give you extra brownie points cause you did 7 highers because they know not every school offers more than 5 highers and not every child has the option to self teach/ do a higher at college. Some schools don't even let you do more than 5 highers. Doing more than 5 is just a waste of time really. If you want to go t an english uni it might me different, do some research d find out if it is the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophie507)
    I'm in S4 doing all National 5's, predicted an A in all 9 of my subjects. We pick our highers in January, I have seen copies of previous higher option forms and you can only choose 5 subjects but I want to do 7 highers:
    Maths
    French
    Spanish
    German
    English

I have a natural talent for foreign languages and find them extremely easy so I have no worries about them.

Has anyone done 6 or 7 highers? and were any of them crash highers? how did you find it?
    Any other advice?
    First, NINE N5s?? I just managed 8!
    Probably best not to do crash highers, a higher is a lot more work than a N5. But what you could do is self-study 1 or 2 highers over 2 years so you do the exams at the end of S6 along with your advanced highers (i assume you are thinking of AH's because you will probably need to do them for English unis). Good luck with all your exams!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    French
    Spanish
    German
    English

Any other advice?

for your own sake please don't pick more than 5 highers, the amount of work and studying you need to do is unrea. I think it would be better just to focus on the 5 you need for uni rather than putting all that stress on yourself

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, good on you for wanting to go the extra mile. I would only recommend this route if you think you can get straight As. Otherwise it would look better to get 5A's than 3A's and 4B's(if you can't manage 7 highers). I don't know about crashing economics, however, I crashed Higher Computing and I achieved a Band 1 for it last year.

Higher is really not that hard. Looking back, I would have taken an extra subject if my school allowed to. However, you must be wary of your own limitations.
    ADV Higher(which is really what English unis care about) is where s*** gets real!

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    French
    Spanish
    German
    English

Any other advice?
    Hi Sophie,
    I am currently studying (all higher) physics, chemistry, english, mathematics and geography (all predicted to be straight A's). I am doing the new higher course which i presume you will be doing as it will be the only valid one. I did my national 5's last year and achieved all A's. Higher is very much different from nat 5 not because the work is harder but because of the volume of work you have to do. it is much more than nat 5. I would recommend doing only 5 highers in S5 (for you own sanity) as there is a higher chance of getting all A's ( and this of course is the aim). I would crash the other two when you are in s6, this way you are still doing 7 highers just not all at the same time.
    Doing 7 highers in S5 would be ridiculous (not because you wouldn't be clever enough) as it would totally stress you out and you would have no free time.
    Its totally up to you though, just really think it through and talk to your teachers.
    Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by molly221)
    Hi Sophie,
    I am currently studying (all higher) physics, chemistry, english, mathematics and geography (all predicted to be straight A's). I am doing the new higher course which i presume you will be doing as it will be the only valid one. I did my national 5's last year and achieved all A's. Higher is very much different from nat 5 not because the work is harder but because of the volume of work you have to do. it is much more than nat 5. I would recommend doing only 5 highers in S5 (for you own sanity) as there is a higher chance of getting all A's ( and this of course is the aim). I would crash the other two when you are in s6, this way you are still doing 7 highers just not all at the same time.
    Doing 7 highers in S5 would be ridiculous (not because you wouldn't be clever enough) as it would totally stress you out and you would have no free time.
    Its totally up to you though, just really think it through and talk to your teachers.
    Hope this helps x

With the new higher it is so hard what used to be a 4 mark question you now need to write the equivalent of an 8 mark

ReputationRep:
    A long way out of school now but I know Highers won't have got easier... I'm was a straight A student at school and that continued with a strong performance at med school.

As others have suggested, for your own sanity do just the 5 in S5 - its a tough year, pretty stressful and you want the best chance of good grades, you might be too thinly spread pushing yourself to do 7. It was a huge step up from standard grade and I would expect it to be the same from the national 5s.

You can always pick up an extra higher or 2 alongside your advanced highers. I took 3 AHs and an additional higher in S6 (out of interest) and if I had really pushed myself might have scrapped another had I been particularly enthusiastic, but probably to the detriment of either my contribution to my sports team or to my other grades.

It is important to have time to develop yourself as a person, whether this is through extra-curricular interests, volunteering, spending time with family or whatever, as well as pushing for grades. Universities will want to see this too, they want more than an exam warrior.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing 5 highers - I don't find them particularly difficult and the bump up from Nat5 for me is not the level at which we're working, it's the pace and the workload. Highers are full speed ahead and the work load is atleast tripled if not far more from N5. I say stick with doing 5 and you could always do the others in s6! At most do 6; I think looking back I probably could have handled it, and I have a few friends who do 6 and don't find if particularly problematic, but just know that if you choose that option you will likely have hardly any free time, as I say, I'm only doing 5 and I basically can't do anything for fun in the time I have! Good luck and I hope you make the right choices for yourself

ReputationRep:
    Contact some unis about what they want in highers.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.