Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I need to write an essay on: What is Real? How do you define real? by making a reference to the Matrix, Decartes and Plato.

However I don't know how to structure an essay for Philosophy, like in English you have PEARL (point, evidence, analysis, refer to question, link), what formula do you use in CfE Higher Philosophy? Is there a specific way? And how do you even answer this impossible question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redddddd)
    I need to write an essay on: What is Real? How do you define real? by making a reference to the Matrix, Decartes and Plato.

However I don't know how to structure an essay for Philosophy, like in English you have PEARL (point, evidence, analysis, refer to question, link), what formula do you use in CfE Higher Philosophy? Is there a specific way? And how do you even answer this impossible question?
    I wrote a post on this sub forum less than a week ago to a similar question.

You will find that easily enough. So instead of repeating myself to no-one's benefit:
    What research have you done so far?
    And do you know how you define reality yet?
    Have you looked into metaphysics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I wrote a post on this sub forum less than a week ago to a similar question.

You will find that easily enough. So instead of repeating myself to no-one's benefit:
    What research have you done so far?
    And do you know how you define reality yet?
    Have you looked into metaphysics?
    I have tried to do research but haven't found anything. I really don't what sort of stuff I should be looking for. I have no idea how you define reality and I have not looked into metaphysics.All I have learnt so far is about Plato's Allegory of Cave, Descartes - First Meditation and watched The Matrix. After learning this, I was handed this essay to do.

ReputationRep:
    I have tried to do research but haven't found anything. I really don't what sort of stuff I should be looking for. I have no idea how you define reality and I have not looked into metaphysics.All I have learnt so far is about Plato's Allegory of Cave, Descartes - First Meditation and watched The Matrix. After learning this, I was handed this essay to do.
    Wikipedia
    IEP
    plato.stanford

This essay is wholey about metaphysics by the soudns of it.

ReputationRep:
    Also you want to familiarise yourself with the philosophical concepts:
    Objective
    Subjective
    And if you grasp those, social construct.

I kind of want to write this essay, though the matrix stuff and descartes side of it would be boring.

ReputationRep:
    Also you want to familiarise yourself with the philosophical concepts:
    Objective
    Subjective
    And if you grasp those, social construct.

I kind of want to write this essay, though the matrix stuff and descartes side of it would be boring.
    Thank you for the advice but I am still not getting it.

How do you write an essay in Philosophy? Does a paragraph firstly states the point, then the evidence then the analyis and then links it to question?

ReputationRep:
    This essay is wholey about metaphysics by the soudns of it.
    I would say it's also about epistemology. Plato's cave allegory and the Matrix are both commentaries on perception versus reality and how we come know about (what we think is) reality.

I think it's more on the epistemological side than on the metaphysical side. The teacher (asker of the question) seems to want a thought/rejection of epistemological skepticism stemming from the the Cartesian skepticism reading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    I would say it's also about epistemology. Plato's cave allegory and the Matrix are both commentaries on perception versus reality and how we come know about (what we think is) reality.

I think it's more on the epistemological side than on the metaphysical side. The teacher (asker of the question) seems to want a thought/rejection of epistemological skepticism stemming from the the Cartesian skepticism reading.
    I'd argue in this case that's a braunch of metaphysics.

How do you write an essay in Philosophy? Does a paragraph firstly states the point, then the evidence then the analyis and then links it to question?
    Look on the sub thread, scroll down about 5 posts, there's a thread with 1 reply, last reply is from me. It's asking about how to write philosophy essays.

ReputationRep:

I would be very concerned if you were doing all of this in a single paragraph.

Paragraph 1: Introduction. Introduce the topic you will talking about

Paragraph 2: Identify the problem you'll be dealing with. For example, "The problem dealt with in this essay will be a rejection of skepticism" or whatever it is that you will be addressing.

Paragraph 3: Make your claim. "Skepticism is wrong because our sensory experiences are reliable" or whatever it is that your specific claim is.

Paragraph 4: Justify your claim with grounds. "Our sensory experiences are reliable because I think so." (Don't use this as an actual argument please, this is not an even remotely acceptable argument).

Paragraph 5: Explain why your grounds warrant your claim. How is it that your grounds prove your claim.

Paragraph 6: Sum it all up.

This is obviously a rough sketch, if you need more paragraphs (for example, you have multiple claims) then make multiple claims paragraphs; and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NYU2012)
    I would be very concerned if you were doing all of this in a single paragraph.

Paragraph 1: Introduction. Introduce the topic you will talking about

Paragraph 2: Identify the problem you'll be dealing with. For example, "The problem dealt with in this essay will be a rejection of skepticism" or whatever it is that you will be addressing.

Paragraph 3: Make your claim. "Skepticism is wrong because our sensory experiences are reliable" or whatever it is that your specific claim is.

Paragraph 4: Justify your claim with grounds. "Our sensory experiences are reliable because I think so." (Don't use this as an actual argument please, this is not an even remotely acceptable argument).

Paragraph 5: Explain why your grounds warrant your claim. How is it that your grounds prove your claim.

Paragraph 6: Sum it all up.

This is obviously a rough sketch, if you need more paragraphs (for example, you have multiple claims) then make multiple claims paragraphs; and so on.
    Thank you so much. No, I wasn't intending on writing just one single paragraph. I was utterly confused as to how I should write each paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    I'd argue in this case that's a braunch of metaphysics.

Look on the sub thread, scroll down about 5 posts, there's a thread with 1 reply, last reply is from me. It's asking about how to write philosophy essays.

I know I am an idiot but I can't find it.

ReputationRep:
    I know I am an idiot but I can't find it.
    will post again in 5 minutes, just killing some bad guys, or good guys..

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3667903

ReputationRep:
    Also see advice above in this thread, that's how many of mine were done.

ReputationRep:
    Also see advice above in this thread, that's how many of mine were done.
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate all your help.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much. I really appreciate all your help.
    :/

NYU2012's post is the one I'm talking about. I have no problem being thanked, but am I really the only user who deserves thanks?

ReputationRep:
    :/

NYU2012's post is the one I'm talking about. I have no problem being thanked, but am I really the only user who deserves thanks?
    If you would scroll up you'd see that I also thanked NYU2012.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 22, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.