Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i know how to do square root of a number, i just have to press √16 for example and it comes out as 4

but then i have to do sums like 64^5/6 or 64 to the power of 5/6 and i want to put (6√64)^5
    but when i do 6√64 it comes out as 48 which i know is not what i wanted. how come when i put a number before √ on the calc, it becomes a different meaning as oppose to just √ being squared root? even when i put 2√16 it comes out as 8. i thought √ = 2√?
    please help me figure it out, i got exams soon
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    i know how to do square root of a number, i just have to press √16 for example and it comes out as 4

but then i have to do sums like 64^5/6 or 64 to the power of 5/6 and i want to put (6√64)^5
    but when i do 6√64 it comes out as 48 which i know is not what i wanted. how come when i put a number before √ on the calc, it becomes a different meaning as oppose to just √ being squared root? even when i put 2√16 it comes out as 8. i thought √ = 2√?
    Try shift, then the square root

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow, just. Wow.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Try shift, then the square root

Posted from TSR Mobile
    shift square root is cubed root, but i want 6√

ReputationRep:

2√x means two times the root of x. You need to press the button that looks like a little x by the root symbol. It may be shift+root.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Then you'll probably have to do the fractional power way

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Try shift+^

What calculator do you use?

ReputationRep:

There are a few possible ways of doing this, using the example of 64^(5/6)

First, inserting that directly into your calculator. I'm not sure which one you have, put surely you'll have a power button and a fraction button, which allows you to calculate that.

Or, you can use the root function on your calculator. What you're doing is multiplying the √64 by 6, rather than doing the 6th root of 64. For the 6th root, the button on your calculator should have a small number (possibly x) sitting on the square root sign. It'd be much easier to describe if you tell me which calculator you're using.

ReputationRep:
    What model are you using? Can you find a pic of one online so we can see the buttons? Thanks.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    There are a few possible ways of doing this, using the example of 64^(5/6)

First, inserting that directly into your calculator. I'm not sure which one you have, put surely you'll have a power button and a fraction button, which allows you to calculate that.

Or, you can use the root function on your calculator. What you're doing is multiplying the √64 by 6, rather than doing the 6th root of 64. For the 6th root, the button on your calculator should have a small number (possibly x) sitting on the square root sign. It'd be much easier to describe if you tell me which calculator you're using.
    that's exactly why, it all came back to me now that i need ⁶√64 instead of 6√64
    but the problem is how do i get the ⁶. on my calc (canon f718sga) theres x√ by shift + ^ but then how do i get x to become ⁶? thanks
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Name:  215628.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  32.9 KB
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    What model are you using? Can you find a pic of one online so we can see the buttons? Thanks.
    hopefully u can see the keys

ReputationRep:
    Name:  215628.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  32.9 KB

hopefully u can see the keys
    Thanks. It does look like shift+^ will make it.

So to do the cube root of 5 you would type 3 then shift+^ then 5.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    that's exactly why, it all came back to me now that i need ⁶√64 instead of 6√64
    but the problem is how do i get the ⁶. on my calc (canon f718sga) theres x√ by shift + ^ but then how do i get x to become ⁶? thanks
    e.g. 6 x√ 64 will give you \sqrt[6]{64}

The number you type before the x√ becomes the 'x'.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Keyhofi)
    Thanks. It does look like shift+^ will make it.

So to do the cube root of 5 you would type 3 then shift+^ then 5.
    thank you!, it's annoying though how it appears as 6x√64 and not ⁶√64, it confuses my brain but it works so that's good, thanks!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by notnek)
    e.g. 6 x√ 64 will give you \sqrt[6]{64}

The number you type before the x√ becomes the 'x'.
    thanks, i much prefer if the calculator shows a little 6 instead of 6x√ lol cos to me, it doesnt register well when it appear as that, but it works!!
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    thanks, i much prefer if the calculator shows a little 6 instead of 6x√ lol cos to me, it doesnt register well when it appear as that, but it works!!
    That's why I picked a slightly fancier calculator

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 22, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.