Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    I currently have a large underbite and my biggest regret is choosing not to DO the treatment when I was 17 years old (I WAS JUST WAY TOO SCARED TO HAVE SUGURY).

Anyways, I only had braces on my upper teeth as it was really crooked. I'm now 22 and I decided a year ago that enough is enough and I started treatment. My orthodontist has put braces on my lower teeth after a couple of tooths were extracted. Its been 6 months since that and I'm pleased to say that its straightening out really nicely. However my orthodontist now says that i'll be ready for braces again on my upper teeth and I was incredibly disappointed by this. Although my upper teeth after 5-6 years are fairly straight, two of tooths have started to move back to its original place.

So my question is that do you guys think that I could tell my orthodontist that I don't want braces on my upper teeth and leave as it is as I no longer want to delay the treatment time or do you guys think that I don't have a choice.

Any advice from those who have been through this would be much LOVED and APPRECIATED
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by hazukasad)
    Hi Guys,
    I currently have a large underbite and my biggest regret is choosing not to DO the treatment when I was 17 years old (I WAS JUST WAY TOO SCARED TO HAVE SUGURY).

Anyways, I only had braces on my upper teeth as it was really crooked. I'm now 22 and I decided a year ago that enough is enough and I started treatment. My orthodontist has put braces on my lower teeth after a couple of tooths were extracted. Its been 6 months since that and I'm pleased to say that its straightening out really nicely. However my orthodontist now says that i'll be ready for braces again on my upper teeth and I was incredibly disappointed by this. Although my upper teeth after 5-6 years are fairly straight, two of tooths have started to move back to its original place.

So my question is that do you guys think that I could tell my orthodontist that I don't want braces on my upper teeth and leave as it is as I no longer want to delay the treatment time or do you guys think that I don't have a choice.

Any advice from those who have been through this would be much LOVED and APPRECIATED
    It could be that he wants to put them on your top teeth so they can use elastics etc to sort out your jaws together. It would move back the ones that are moving too which could be good, means you can have a fully straight set again rather than just part of one! Probably the best thing to do would be to ask your orthodontist why it is he wants to put them on your top teeth- if it's just to sort out the two that are moving then it's up to you, if there's something else he wants to do like sorting the relationship between your jaws then if I were you I would have them. Hope it works out well either way!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.