Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Where to live when studying for MSc watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all!

This is kinda stressing me out a lot, as I have so much work this term but as I'm a final year BSc student I need to be thinking about my future...

I'm considering moving to Leeds to study an MSc there, so need to start my application soon (as I can't afford to do this without a scholarship!)

However I have no idea where I'm going to live. I checked the website and there is PG University owned accom, but it isn't guaranteed for UK students.

How do most people work around this - do you live in private? How do you even start looking at private rented houses in a city you've never lived in, where you don't know anybody? In Leicester (where I'm currently living) most of the decent houses are signed for by end - November, which is when I need to apply for the course, but I won't know if I'll be accepted onto the course before graduation next year, and I have no time to go up to Leeds to look around houses or sign contracts...

Help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiesaurus)
    Hey all!

This is kinda stressing me out a lot, as I have so much work this term but as I'm a final year BSc student I need to be thinking about my future...

I'm considering moving to Leeds to study an MSc there, so need to start my application soon (as I can't afford to do this without a scholarship!)

However I have no idea where I'm going to live. I checked the website and there is PG University owned accom, but it isn't guaranteed for UK students.

How do most people work around this - do you live in private? How do you even start looking at private rented houses in a city you've never lived in, where you don't know anybody? In Leicester (where I'm currently living) most of the decent houses are signed for by end - November, which is when I need to apply for the course, but I won't know if I'll be accepted onto the course before graduation next year, and I have no time to go up to Leeds to look around houses or sign contracts...

Help?
    Might be worth posting in the Leeds forum to see if any Leeds postgrads are floating around there who can give you specific advice. Like Leeds, my uni didn't guarentee rooms for UK postgrads so we lived in private accomodation. I stayed on at the same uni but I initially went house hunting with two girls who I got in touch with via my uni's housing message board- they had come up to the city just for the day and scheduled loads of viewings in- has to be done because you can't rent somewhere you've never seen,

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.