Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Driving lessons watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Am in a bit of a predicament, I have a driving lesson tomorrow and aren't really looking forward to it.

I'm on my 7th lesson and always dread them. My mum suggested I learn now as I am only 19 and it's better than starting when you're older.

I can understand that it could be beneficial in the long run but can't see myself buying a car right after I pass (if I do) and don't have the enthusiasm or excitement some people do when they drive.

Is it just a worry most people get when they are on their lessons and will my attitude change after I pass? I don't know, just feel like I've wasted my money on something I thought I'd like but just turns out to be something I dread each week

I just don't enjoy driving

Any help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConnorM96)
    Hi,

Am in a bit of a predicament, I have a driving lesson tomorrow and aren't really looking forward to it.

I'm on my 7th lesson and always dread them. My mum suggested I learn now as I am only 19 and it's better than starting when you're older.

I can understand that it could be beneficial in the long run but can't see myself buying a car right after I pass (if I do) and don't have the enthusiasm or excitement some people do when they drive.

Is it just a worry most people get when they are on their lessons and will my attitude change after I pass? I don't know, just feel like I've wasted my money on something I thought I'd like but just turns out to be something I dread each week

Have you passed your theory test?

You will struggle to learn how to drive without your own car.

I actually like driving. However I didn't a first. I was pooing myself every week. However I got more comfortable and now I really enjoy driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConnorM96)
    Hi,

You need to understand precisely why you dread your lessons so much. Not enjoying driving could be for a host of reasons, feeling under pressure, not understanding, not being in control, not getting on with the instructor? It could even be as simple as not being comfortable behind the wheel.

Once you understand why then you can sort it out. It may be that you are being 'rushed' into driving before you are mentally ready for it. It is so easy to take up learning to drive because of parental or peer pressure, perhaps because it is the 'rite of passage' when growing up. You need to do it for the right reasons.

So look carefully at why you feel so uncomfortable and then you'll be in a better position to fix it.

I hope that helps

Emma

ReputationRep:
    You say you don't want to pay lots of money for something you aren't interested in, but it would cost the same (if not more!) to do it later in life; as well as being harder.

I'm in the same situation but I'd rather my parents paid for it and I did it now than I pay for it myself later on.

It'll be out the way and driving is something that stays with you, so it's a big benefit to do it as soon as possible.
    (You'll find you'll make more friends too )

If it's your instructor you don't like get a new one. If it's generally driving - it'll get more enjoyable the more you do it. Don't worry about people on the road judging you; you're a learner, and people will keep out your way and give you room.

ReputationRep:
    How do you feel during/after each lesson?

I passed at the beginning of September and started having lessons in March. I would have a 2 hour lesson every week or so and before the lesson I would get so worried/anxious about it. It wasn't because I disliked driving or because I didn't get on with my instructor; I just didn't enjoy the thought of heading into rush hour traffic to learn. However, as soon as I got into the instructor's car I was fine. I just got on with it and loved it. I was the same week in-week out. I would get so worked up before the lesson and arrive home 2 hours later bouncing off the walls because I enjoyed it so much.
    So, I wouldn't worry too much about the "pre-lesson dreads" too much if you find yourself driving well and not hating it as you're driving.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 28. I'm about 24.5 hours of learning in, THIS YEAR. Have two previous years of about 20 hours of patchy lessons here and there. I would recommend doing it now because it doesn't go thick into my head as easily as things used to. I'm not even that old but my brain is my enemy when it comes to learning. Just from my own experience, I feel like each hour of a two hour lesson is spent getting back into the groove, making daft mistakes until I settle into my skin and the car a little bit more.

Short of it, I find it a slog learning. Wish I'd done it earlier. You'll probably enjoy it a little bit more like the others say, when you're more comfortable. I go from enjoying to hating it about 20 times a lesson. Stick with it. I stopped and started learning and it was a waste of money to do it that way.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.