Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I insane for not taking a placement year? [CS] watch

ReputationRep:
    So I study BSc (Hons) Computing and I have to chose whether I will take next year in industry or not. I am strongly considering not doing that, because I am very eager on finishing university asap. I don't want to spend anymore time at uni after that. I am thinking of doing summer internships until I graduate, but working for a year seems like a waste of time to me (even though it's not, you learn a lot) but I just think about working for a year the same intern ****ty job might be wasteful.

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerfgun)
    So I study BSc (Hons) Computing and I have to chose whether I will take next year in industry or not. I am strongly considering not doing that, because I am very eager on finishing university asap. I don't want to spend anymore time at uni after that. I am thinking of doing summer internships until I graduate, but working for a year seems like a waste of time to me (even though it's not, you learn a lot) but I just think about working for a year the same intern ****ty job might be wasteful.

What do you guys think?
    At my University, around 98% of those who did a year in industry ended up with a graduate job after their final year. Not just any old job, a graduate job. Furthermore, it isn't uncommon for employers to offer jobs to students at the end of their placement year.

Fact is, you have a higher chance of getting the job you want if you do the extra 'shi**y' year. Even if you don't like it, at least you won't be committing to a 2-3 year graduate scheme and you will know what to avoid while also gaining experience.

At the end of the day, why would an employer take you in when they could take in a student who did a placement year with them, who knows about how they work and vice versa? It's a no brainer really.

Obviously you could skip this and just go to your final year, it doesn't disqualify you from graduate schemes. Just puts you at a disadvantage. Although summer internships are good as well.

ReputationRep:
    if you don't want to do a whole year, consider two lots of 3 month placements at the end of your 1st and 2nd year.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.