Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mechanical engineering PS watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I guys! so I am currently writing my PS for mechanical engineering, and a bit lost...
    My first 2 paragraphs are really on bio mechanics, so bionic limbs... should i be doing this or am i on the wrong route?

ReputationRep:
    Write about the career that you want to do after you graduate, your hobbies and relate this to your university and course

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    Write about the career that you want to do after you graduate, your hobbies and relate this to your university and course
    But should i keep the info on me being interested in the bio mechanics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFM23)
    I guys! so I am currently writing my PS for mechanical engineering, and a bit lost...
    My first 2 paragraphs are really on bio mechanics, so bionic limbs... should i be doing this or am i on the wrong route?
    It's up to you, as long as you're really selling yourself (e.g. explaining on why it interests you; why you want to study mechanical engineering; why you want to go to uni; the skills you have which makes you stand out).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    It's up to you, as long as you're really selling yourself (e.g. explaining on why it interests you; why you want to study mechanical engineering; why you want to go to uni; the skills you have which makes you stand out).
    Thankyou! but i am just a bit unsure whether an admissions office would look at it and say 'oh this student must be interested in bio mechanical' rather than mechanical engineering, if you know what i mean :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFM23)
    Thankyou! but i am just a bit unsure whether an admissions office would look at it and say 'oh this student must be interested in bio mechanical' rather than mechanical engineering, if you know what i mean :s
    Get someone to read your personal statement (especially a teacher).

I've read so many personal statement and analysed them, a few with a teacher, which made me know exactly how to sell myself.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much! Will do!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Only mention it if it will be covered by the course. If it isn't relevant to the course then you will come across as unfocused.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by HFM23)
    It's fine to leave in as an area of interest but possibly not as an opening and it shouldn't take up more than a couple of sentences. Many mecheng courses won't include a biomech option and so it could appear as if you haven't done your research.

If it's in there as a way of explaining how you've come to mecheng as your course choice then that's ok but make sure to bring it back to mecheng or the mech input to biomech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFM23)
    But should i keep the info on me being interested in the bio mechanics?
    Yh keep that as wel, as theyll look for a link
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by HFM23)
    Look at previous examples. You don't need to produce anything fancy or unique.

Nothing wrong with bionic limbs - the head of mechanical on my course had a research interest in bioengineering. It's all part of engineering.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.