The Student Room Group

Should I leave top uni? depression & anxiety... Some advice please, any!! xx

Hey,

So i am currently studying at a world top university and I am not enjoying my time there, I think most of this is due to commuting and not being able to make the most of the social side of University, meeting people, living in halls, sports etc.
I hate the city also, I am commuting from the country side/ sea side and love being by the ocean/ greenery, I think a University like Exeter or another Campus uni like this would suite me a lot, rather than being in the city which I hate. The uni has no community feel.

This may sound ridiculous but it is really making me quite depressed and sky-rocketed my anxiety. I have no motivation to do my work, I have already missed so many lectures, I can't be bothered to do my set work. I have no balanced lifestyle of social, sport and academic because I basically spend my life on Western Train Service and cannot deal with this anymore. II have gained so much weight because I don't have any sports to partake in, it takes me hours to travel to them scattered around the city, and the last train is at 10pm.

Do you think it would be stupid of me to leave a top university and swap to a mid range one?

I seriously don't know what to do anymore.

I'd appreciate some advice,

Thanks, Lola x
Oh dear. This doesn't sound good. One thing you do have is options. They may not necessarily be desirable options, but you still have options. I would advise you go and see the welfare officer in your student union. They will be able to give you the facts of your situation and details of any consequences. Once you have that information you are then in a position to make a plan.

Options include:
- drop out of this university with a view to moving elsewhere
- drop out of university all together and get a job
- drop out of university for a couple of years, get a job and then try again in a few years time
- have a change of heart, lower your expectations on life and live each moment for what it is, continuing your current studies.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a plan. If you follow your gut-instinct you will come unstuck and the consequences will be very much unknown.

Good luck!
Can I just ask what university it is your going to? Sometimes its the university itself and not the subject which is stressing
Reply 3
Original post by MeerabBieber
Can I just ask what university it is your going to? Sometimes its the university itself and not the subject which is stressing

I don't wish to disclose the information of what university, but I know it is NOT the subject, it IS the university :frown:
A lot of your problems see to be overstressed because if the commenting and not being able to really get involved with student life - have you asked the accommodation office if there's any spare rooms at halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by mizzsnazzter
A lot of your problems see to be overstressed because if the commenting and not being able to really get involved with student life - have you asked the accommodation office if there's any spare rooms at halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't afford halls :frown:
Hey Lola, sorry to hear your feeling like this. Have you spoken to anyone about how you feel? You've clearly worked hard to get into university and its a shame that you feel like this and not sure whether to leave. I commute to my university and last year when I was a fresher I often felt like that too. The best thing I would suggest is to talk to your university counsellor, in my experience I've found the service to be so helpful and they can give you lots of advice. It might also be worth speaking to the accommodation service in your university to see if you can get some advice of them as well. In terms of your motivation, and anxiety, remind yourself everyday how much of an incredible achievement you've already done by actually going to university and tell yourself how great you are for doing it. hope you feel better x

Quick Reply

Latest