user665587741236
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My fiancé has a new job where they have always stated he works monday-friday and every other Saturday. His first day was a Sunday which seemed weird but as it was training we didn't think too much into it. He's been there under a week.

However he was speaking to a colleague (who was told the same as him) and he said he worked 7 days a week, hasn't been given a day off in over a month and gets all his leave requests denied, including those he specified he he already booked off before he started.

They work pretty long hours too; e.g. 7am-6pm is a normal day. Sometimes longer, and occasionally slightly shorter.

Can they do this to my OH? On the job advert, at the interview and on his induction/training they specified his hours and said he had a certain amount of leave and the only time he couldnt take time off was December. We are both a bit worried as he comes home knackered and we feel like we would hardly see each other

Posted from TSR Mobile
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would imagine it is one of those where you can kick up a stink but you will be shown the door pretty pronto. The question you have to ask is can you be arsed to go through the faff of claiming unfair dismissal?
travelfiend
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think the limit of working hours a week is 48 and you (technically) have to sign something to say you agree to waive that. So yes, it is illegal.
Souljer
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bu any chance isit a call centre job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
user665587741236
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Souljer)
Bu any chance isit a call centre job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope, delivery driver
Mega0448
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by holson)
Nope, delivery driver
It's not uncommon for those places to make you register as self employed. That way whatever hours you work aren't really up to the company. They just give you the packages and leave you to it.

I'd double check any contract of employment signed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (131)
30.05%
No (305)
69.95%

Watched Threads