The Student Room Group

People with IBS/ anxiety what do you do about long car trips?

Hello!

I have IBS and anxiety and I am soon to be going on a couple of hours trip with my friend in a car and I am getting anxious about it. The last time I went to something similar I had a couple of biscuits for breakfast, I felt ok for a bit but then felt so ill and we arrived just in time, I just had to get out of the car. This time I was thinking of eating a bacon roll, through shorter car trips I have discovered that this makes me feel ill sooner but I feel less hollow. The annoying thing is that I won't really be able to stop to go to the toilet and I'll be constantly moving. So I'm not sure what to eat and I'm slightly freaking out about feeling ill. What do you think? What do you do?

Thank you :smile:
Take an imodium if you think you are going to be affected. Its not great advice, but you would rather be constipated than need the toilet!
Reply 2
Have you identified foods which are triggers for you and that you can avoid? I think common ones are dairy, gluten, caffeine, onions/garlic etc. My IBS seems to cope with breakfast foods such as oat-based cereals/porridge with dairy-free milk, scrambled eggs, bananas. I also find ginger tea to be good at relieving symptoms and peppermint could also be worth a try. Of course everyone is different though.
Reply 3
I have IBS and anxiety too so I know how often those conditions can make you run to the toilet. I keep imodium in the car and in my handbag at all times and before I go, I eat something that doesn't aggravate my stomach or bowels such as something bland like toast or micro chips. I avoid things like milk or eggs if I know I won't be near a toilet for a while.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The tips about taking Immodium beforehand are good. Using Immodium instants might be an idea, that way you can take them as you start having trouble rather than taking them before the trip, that way you can still expect them to be effective in time but avoid taking them if you don't actually need to.
Have you thought about talking to your friend who is driving? It might put you at ease if they knew you have IBS, they'd make allowances for that and know that it's important if you say you need to stop to use the bathroom. Definitely try to eat something bland and small like others have said and stay away from caffeine if you can!
Making sure your anxiety stays to a minimum is also important for making sure you don't feel unwell as you're likely aware. Make sure you have plenty of distractions, music, talk to your friends, read if you can in a car, take a pillow with you so you can have a nap, etc,.

Quick Reply

Latest