should i b upset that my parents dont like me dating my boyfriend? Watch

This discussion is closed.
snow_white
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
why cant they just let me be happy. my mum keeps giving all too noticable gestures towards me dumping him, kind of a big hint.
they just say they dont see the point in us dating, and my sister told me nan thinks the same, no-one over 30 in my family will agree with me, everyones so against it. the only hope i have is that everyone young supports me. school kids, work mates, mine and his friends, anyone i know thats not an adult adult says good on me. so why do my elder family members hate it?
i am 18 and a half, my boyfriend is 17, is our dating a crime in the adult world?
p8224
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by snow_white)
why cant they just let me be happy. my mum keeps giving all too noticable gestures towards me dumping him, kind of a big hint.
they just say they dont see the point in us dating, and my sister told me nan thinks the same, no-one over 30 in my family will agree with me, everyones so against it. the only hope i have is that everyone young supports me. school kids, work mates, mine and his friends, anyone i know thats not an adult adult says good on me. so why do my elder family members hate it?
i am 18 and a half, my boyfriend is 17, is our dating a crime in the adult world?
i know exactly how u feel..except my parents didnt just gesture for me to leave him...they DEMANDED that i did!! my ex-boyfriend is 6 mnths younger than myself...BIG DEAL!! but that wasn't the only reason i suspect...

anyway..with regards to your situation, i think u should just follow your heart. be open to their advice/warnings/whatever but u should make your own decisions...there came a point where i had to learn to be happy without their approval =)
ickle_katy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
so do your parents have a probelm with the fact that he's younger than you...or that he's your boyfriend?!?

im so confused?!?

love Katy ***
snow_white
Rep:
?
(Original post by ickle_katy)
so do your parents have a probelm with the fact that he's younger than you...or that he's your boyfriend?!?

im so confused?!?

love Katy ***
BOTH.
we were best friends before we went out which for me is a general basis for disaster, plus he is younger. so mums like hes too immature, and your reking your friendship he wont live through you breaking his heart which is a valid arguement he wouldnt, but thats why i dont intend to brake his heart, im stiking with him, hes the one.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Why do you care about what your parents think?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
At least you know they care.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
Why do you care about what your parents think?
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Both valid points, i'd say that although it's nice that they care this much you should just forget them and go out with who you want, your an adult as well, they can't parent you forever.
snow_white
Rep:
?
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
yeh i know. my mum is just worried about us, but i wish shed let it be and accept so we can really be happy.
snow_white
Rep:
?
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
Both valid points, i'd say that although it's nice that they care this much you should just forget them and go out with who you want, your an adult as well, they can't parent you forever.
true
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
If you also think that it's true then don't be upset - your problem is resolved. You shall strive to be irritating and rebellious towards your parents and go out with whoever you want, it's a good thing and they'll get over it someday and be happy for you, hopefully.
snow_white
Rep:
?
(Original post by tis_me_lord)
If you also think that it's true then don't be upset - your problem is resolved. You shall strive to be irritating and rebellious towards your parents and go out with whoever you want, it's a good thing and they'll get over it someday and be happy for you, hopefully.
hopefully. i think just need alot of time to see we're happy together.
Investmentboy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Who you choose to go out with is your decision and your parents should but out of your personal life. Its not for them to tell you who to date and more over its very unfair to push you to split up. Tell them how you feel and that you like this guy and hopefully they will accept it. If not sell them on ebay.
roseonthegrave
Badges:
Report 14 years ago
should i b upset that my parents dont like me dating my boyfriend?
Yes you should! I strongly recommend screaming and stamping your feet. Always does the trick in a situation like this.
randdom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Parents are funny like that :rolleyes:. When I started going out with my ex it took my parents 6 months to stop telling me to break up with him. Then 2 years later when our relationship did draw to a close my mum got really mad at me for dumping him. She was really hostile to my new boyfriend for quite a while but she has got to know him now and treats him like part of the family.

Leave it for a bit. The will all probably get used to the idea eventually if you stick it out.
AngelofnoColour
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i support u fully. Dont me upset, its ur life, not theirs. Just be happy and try to convince them, you love him.
6 String
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
just try to be happy for yourself, at the end of the day you're living your own life and not what they want your life to be. If you can't convince them to like him then it doesn't really matter. would you rather be with someone your parents like but you not so keen on or someone you really like but your parents not so keen on?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1411)
79.63%
Leave (361)
20.37%

Watched Threads