Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Questions on maintenance loan and grant watch

ReputationRep:
    From my previous understanding i thought you can apply maintenance loan + grant as long as you are UK student, and you can get up to around £7434 a year (Warwick university).
    But our Sixth-form had someone to talk to us about student finance yesterday, and said that student loan + grant is what you get in 3 years time. Which means i can get up-to £2478 a year if i go to Warwick.
    ###My first question: Do you get £7434 a year or £2478 a year?
    After doing some research i found the cheapest on campus accommodation in Warwick is £2490 (30 weeks). The student loan + grant can not even support the rent.
    ###My second question: If i don't get any support from my family where can i get my maintenance fund from?
    ###My third question: when can you apply for student loan on Student finance England?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b3rry)
    From my previous understanding i thought you can apply maintenance loan + grant as long as you are UK student, and you can get up to around £7434 a year (Warwick university).
    But our Sixth-form had someone to talk to us about student finance yesterday, and said that student loan + grant is what you get in 3 years time. Which means i can get up-to £2478 a year if i go to Warwick.
    Firstly, you haven't been given the most recent information. This year is the last year that a non-repayable grant will be given. As from 2016, new starters will only get a Maintenance Loan.

You will get the same amount in your first and second years, with slightly less in the third year as it will stop at the end of your degree in June, rather than covering you over the summer.

###My first question: Do you get £7434 a year or £2478 a year?
    After doing some research i found the cheapest on campus accommodation in Warwick is £2490 (30 weeks). The student loan + grant can not even support the rent.
    Your Maintenance Loan is variable and your entitlement will be calculated on your household income - that's your parents' combined income if they are still together, or the income of the parent with whom you live if they're separated. Basically, the more your parents earn, the lower your Maintenance Loan will be. This is because your parents are expected to continue to support you financially through university, if they are judged to have enough money to do so.

You can get an estimate of your entitlement using this online calculator:
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

If you will be living away from home during term-time and going to a uni outside London, the minimum Maintenance Loan from 2016 will be £3821 (to clarify, that is per year). It would be slightly higher if you went to a uni in London.

Many students find that their Maintenance money doesn't cover their rent. If your parents can't afford to provide a top-up, then a lot of students need to work part-time to help fund themselves.

###My second question: If i don't get any support from my family where can i get my maintenance fund from?
    The only source of financial support for undergraduates is Student Finance.

###My third question: when can you apply for student loan on Student finance England?
    The online system will usually open for applications in January/February. Keep an eye on it after the New Year. This is the system for Student Finance England (if you live in Wales, Scotland or NI, they have their own systems):
    https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Here's a useful summary of what you need to do:
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/how

ReputationRep:
    You have been misinformed about your situation from 2016, you will get your standard tuition loan which is set at 9000 a year and it gets paid to your chosen university.

In regards to maintenence loan as the grant has been scrapped you will get £8,200 for those studying away from home outside London and to £10,702 for those in London.

Also if you are classed as having a disability, or have someone who depends on you you will be able to get a special support Grant worth £3387 per academic year.

The standard year at university is 42 weeks so I would recheck your accommodation as you will need accommodation longer than 30 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George12X)
    In regards to maintenence loan as the grant has been scrapped you will get £8,200 for those studying away from home outside London and to £10,702 for those in London.
    Just for info, that's the maximum Maintenance Loan per year, for those from low income households. The OP is not guaranteed to get that much - they need to use the online calculator linked in my post above, to find out their actual entitlement. The amount ofthe Maintenance Loan can be decreased by their household income.

The standard year at university is 42 weeks so I would recheck your accommodation as you will need accommodation longer than 30 weeks.
    A 30 week contract indicates a term-time rent only, and that the occupant would be expected to completely clear and vacate the room during Christmas and Easter holidays. Some unis use student accommodation as conference accommodation outside term time. It's a way of making rent cheaper, but the trade-off is that it's inconvenient for the student.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by George12X)

Also if you are classed as having a disability, or have someone who depends on you you will be able to get a special support Grant worth £3387 per academic year.
    Not from September. Student finance is purely loans from then.

Any of the figures quoted for student finance are per year. IE, if it says you're entitled to £9000 for tuition and £8200 maintenance loan, that's what you'll get per year. Not over the 3 years.

ReputationRep:
    As of now they are still considering the special support Grant which is why I mentioned it.

I am aware it's per year that's why I said it! L O L

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've got also a question about it. I'm EU, first year student and I'd like to apply for Maintenance Grant. How can I do it? Where to find any application? When I'm logging into my account here https://logon.slc.co.uk/ there is an information that I can't apply for any finance for now. I've no idea what to do :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kondziorek127)
    Hi, I've got also a question about it. I'm EU, first year student and I'd like to apply for Maintenance Grant. How can I do it? Where to find any application? When I'm logging into my account here https://logon.slc.co.uk/ there is an information that I can't apply for any finance for now. I've no idea what to do :/
    EU students can only get the Tuition Fee Loan. They can't get any maintenance funding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    EU students can only get the Tuition Fee Loan. They can't get any maintenance funding.
    That's not true cause my friend got it last year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kondziorek127)
    That's not true cause my friend got it last year...
    EU students can only get it if they are a migrant worker, the child of a migrant worker or they've lived in the UK for the last 3 years for reasons other than for education

ReputationRep:
    that's exactly what I meant. I am a migrant worker so how can I get it?

ReputationRep:
    I just got my letter from student finance for 2015/2016 that it has been approved.

Im projected to get maintenance grant of around £3731, however as my household income is below £25,000 I thought their would be extra support because my accommodation is going to be around £5000! I am definitely willing to find a part time job but Im not 100% it will cover the accommodation so Im a bit confused. I know universities also do bursaries which I hope I will be entitled to but I still don't think its enough as a regular student would require £8000 a year for living costs including accommodation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ferdaws)
    I just got my letter from student finance for 2015/2016 that it has been approved.

Im projected to get maintenance grant of around £3731, however as my household income is below £25,000 I thought their would be extra support because my accommodation is going to be around £5000! I am definitely willing to find a part time job but Im not 100% it will cover the accommodation so Im a bit confused. I know universities also do bursaries which I hope I will be entitled to but I still don't think its enough as a regular student would require £8000 a year for living costs including accommodation!
    if you are getting that much maintenance grant you should be eligible for around £3000 in maintenance loan in addition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    if you are getting that much maintenance grant you should be eligible for around £3000 in maintenance loan in addition
    Sorry not grant, im supposed to get loan. I realised that they scrapped the grant payment from now on but surely theirs more support available as the online calculator suggested with addition support for me for around £8000 a year.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry not grant, im supposed to get loan. I realised that they scrapped the grant payment from now on but surely theirs more support available as the online calculator suggested with addition support for me for around £8000 a year.
    they have grants for 2015/16 which is the year that has just started, do you mean 2016/17?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    they have grants for 2015/16 which is the year that has just started, do you mean 2016/17?
    Im not sure, I start Uni next year September as Im still at College studying A levels and BTEC which finishes in june next year. I applied for Student finance for next year so Im not sure if i've done it wrong, I need help so bad!

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure, I start Uni next year September as Im still at College studying A levels and BTEC which finishes in june next year. I applied for Student finance for next year so Im not sure if i've done it wrong, I need help so bad!
    student finance for next year hasnt opened yet

ReputationRep:
    Student Finance for next year's starters doesn't open for applications until January/February next year. You need to cancel your current application. Phone SF and they will cancel it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Student Finance for next year's starters doesn't open for applications until January/February next year. You need to cancel your current application. Phone SF and they will cancel it for you.
    I had a feeling I applied too early, alright Il call monday and cancel it as its wrong, Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what other support theirs available for students looking to go to University 2016/17 year.
    Ik government has scrapped maintenance grant, you have now maintenance loan.
    Im supposed to get £3770 maintenance loan alongside £9000 tuition.
    Also Ik theirs bursaries available from the Uni from which I've looked at is £2000 if your household income is under £25000.
    Also Ik you can get a part-time job to get extra money.

However Im very worried about funding my accommodation which is around £5000 a year alongside living costs of £3000, I think my Uni can waver £2000 off the accommodation possibly through the bursary but other than that im not sure what else I could get via support.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.