Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Think I'm going to get kicked out of Big Four firm watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    As you haven't had any previous experience in accountancy I can see why you've found it difficult. Working in a small firm is beneficial because that's where you're more likely to learn and experience the fundamentals of accountancy. But you've gone straight into a Big 4 (well done for getting the job btw) and Audit, so I guess you've missed out on the fundamentals.
    That being said, the Big 4 probably wouldn't kick you out that quick. They've employed you and it shows they have confidence in you.
    My advice would be don't give up so easily, study hard and retake the exams. The Certificate level of ACA is so important, and if you pass them and get to the Professional Level, you'll be at an advantage as that's where your Audit experience will come to use and you'll pass those exams easily.
    In terms of your career if you do get kicked out, simply having the big 4 on your CV is impressive in my opinion, so don't worry about it and good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sit tight, big 4 or not they do have some lenience! You can get tutors for ACA exams so maybe you should do that if you're worried about failing again. They may not have given you many study days but if you're struggling you should be studying a hell of a lot more outside those 10 days.

You'll be okay, good luck! Your career is not stuffed if you do get fired, you can always go to a smaller firm to recuperate and perhaps take extra time to pass your ACA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Although I'm a generation older than you and I'm sure things have changed a lot (!) in that time, this was exactly what happened to me. I had to pinch myself to see that this post was real, it was so similar. I took the view that failing accounting was a sign I wasn't meant to be an accountant and jumped before I was pushed, but in all fairness, there was a long road ahead of me before they would have got rid of me, and actually nobody suggested it anyway. Repeating accountancy exams seemed to be a way of life. It didn't hinder my career afterwards in any way. Most people couldn't understand why I'd even applied for that job anyway. If you are unsuited to the job and unhappy in it, as I was, most wretchedly, then the best thing I can advise is to get out now and find something that really works for you, because it doesn't get any better.

ReputationRep:
    My friend's brother failed some exams and was kicked out of a big 4 firm, but he failed more than one, and he had a Maths degree IIRC so they would have expected more

Carnationlilyrose made a good post but I think stuff has changed since then (more leniency)?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 5, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.