Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When do you do your homeworks and what resources do you use to help?

What days do you go over previous lectures, make revision notes etc?

How long before an assignment is due do you start preparing it or start typing it up?

For me, I have uni 9-3 on Mondays and Tuesday, Wednesday its only 9-11 and Thursdays are 2-4.

So, on the weekend, i do my homeworks which are due for the following week plus any extra reading.

On Mondays and Tuesdays (uni is 9-3) I come home and go over the lectures from that day. Same with Wednesday and Thursday.

Any extra time I have after that would be spent on preparing for assignments which would usually involve grabbing some additional books, reading and make notes etc.

Interested to hear your guys' study week
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't have a regular weekly timetable which makes things a bit difficult difficult, but generally I'll have lectures and practicals from 9-4 with a couple of free hours scattered throughout. I try to get most of my structured work done in the week, so I will do 10+ hours work on a couple of days. I will generally do some readings on weekends. I try to look over my lecture notes in the evening of the day (and at the end of the week) although I've not been very reliable in that respect so far...
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Blyts-_)

How long before an assignment is due do you start preparing it or start typing it up?

For me, I have uni 9-3 on Mondays and Tuesday, Wednesday its only 9-11 and Thursdays are 2-4.

So, on the weekend, i do my homeworks which are due for the following week plus any extra reading.

On Mondays and Tuesdays (uni is 9-3) I come home and go over the lectures from that day. Same with Wednesday and Thursday.

Any extra time I have after that would be spent on preparing for assignments which would usually involve grabbing some additional books, reading and make notes etc.

At the moment as I have 2 exams (one in 3 weeks time then one a month later) and a essay i d hope to get done before Christmas its pretty hectic for me so i now actually have made revision timetables and a weekly planner to keep myself organised and up to date with everything.
    It does vary a little how many hours i ll have lectures a week but here's roughly my studying:

Monday,tuesday, wednesday are normally 9-4 with the occasional monday morning off and lectures also on thursday a couple of times a month at the moment .
    Then at home, I will currently do at least an hour revision a day on those days (some days I feel like doing a lot more so i do) and then do either some pre reading for any lectures or some work towards my essay for however much time I feel capable of doing.

Then across my 3/4 days off a week I ll do all the suggested reading for the next weeks lectures, i ll look through the powerpoints and then if appropriate make an outline on my pc so i then add to that during lectures (that way i type only additional information the lecturer provides rather than copying the stuff on the powerpoint, make me feel less stressed and more efficient really) and finally, i ll work on my portfolio if i ve got anything i can do in it and do a bit of recap reading for lectures.

As for how soon I ll start working on an assignment, i literally start them as soon as the module starts or as soon as i ve got the assignment guidance really so for my current essay i ve started it 9 weeks before deadline but the idea is that its done before Christmas to give myself a well needed holiday:P

It sounds like you do have quite a structured studying method in place so keep at it
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I play it by ear at the moment, though I'm hoping to draw up a study timetable sooner or later. At the moment I just prioritise things based on when lectures/tutorials/hand-ins are, and when coursework is set I'll do it as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    what i wish i had done was work 9-5 monday to friday, then i could have got a first but instead scraped a 2:1. my advice would be find what whats for you, when you feel motivated and not to work and go from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blyts-_)

I'll either borrow books from the library, read it online or buy it. That's what I use to complete work as well as relevant notes from past classes and the Internet. I also look at exemplars on moodle, it helps me a lot.

I don't go over previous lectures I might glance at the slides on moodle before seminars but that's it.

If it's an essay, I'll wait until literally the last possible day to write it up but I'll make notes before so it's easier and quicker for me when I can actually be bothered to write it up. If it's a book review, I'll start straight away because it takes me a while to read a book, I get distracted very easily. If it's group work, I'll try and do my bit fairly quickly so that I don't have the others *****ing at me for not getting it done.

I have a 4-5 lecture on Mondays (as you can imagine, I miss a lot of these) Tuesday is 9-5, Wednesday's is 11-12, Thursday's is 10-3 and then Friday's off. I tend to do my work at various times during the week because I have time between classes. I rarely do work on the weekend. If I'm going home, I'll leave on Thursday evening and aim to be back on Monday around noon, but it's usually afternoon around half 2

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.