The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nucdev

I'm given to understand that in Pakistan, Urdu is seen as the "civilized" language of the educated, whereas actual native languages of Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashto etc. are seen as the languages of illiterate villagers.:dontknow:

That's true, that's especially the case in Punjab where the more educated/upper class people prefer to teach their kids Urdu rather than Punjabi. Apparently Punjabi isn't even taught in the schools there, there's barely any Punjabi language newspapers and I heard your not even allowed to speak it in the Punjab Assembly. It's crazy, Punjabis (in Pakistan) are basically the only people in the world who are voluntarily killing off their own language. However that's quite an exaggeration since there's still about 80 million Punjabi speakers in the country so the vast majority can still speak it.

Original post by nucdev

Even Gujarati, the mother tongue of Jinnah (father of Pakistan) is a virtually dead language in Karachi where it used to be widely spoken.

I don't know too much about that but it probably is true, it would kind of make sense given how many Urdu speakers are in the city. I heard even the Bengalis there are switching to Urdu now as well.
A lot of Pakistanis say I look Pakistani, and get disappointed when I tell them I'm actually Bengali :lol:
Original post by enaayrah
A lot of Pakistanis say I look Pakistani, and get dissappointed when I tell them I'm actually Bengali :lol:

I don't really look at Pakistanis so it's hard for me to judge, but I've always been able to tell the difference between Indians and Pakistanis. Even brown skin Pakistanis look different to brown skin Indians.

It honest to god reminds me of the difference between Europeans and Turks/Syrians/Arabs.
Original post by daisychain_
Don't generalise :naughty:

Am talking about the national psyche, which of course is a generalisation. There will always be individuals who buck the trend
Original post by justinetsr
I don't really look at Pakistanis so it's hard for me to judge, but I've always been able to tell the difference between Indians and Pakistanis. Even brown skin Pakistanis look different to brown skin Indians.

It honest to god reminds me of the difference between Europeans and Turks/Syrians/Arabs.

What about Indians and Bangladeshis?
Original post by enaayrah
What about Indians and Bangladeshis?

I have no idea whatsoever. I never come across Bangladeshi people at all. I remember stereotyping them as being short but that's all I can think of. I can't even be sure what their skin colour is!There might be a difference because I've heard people in Dubai talk of "Bangladeshis" and "Indians" just by looking at them but IDK.
Reply 146
I have no idea whatsoever. I never come across Bangladeshi people at all. I remember stereotyping them as being short but that's all I can think of. I can't even be sure what their skin colour is!There might be a difference because I've heard people in Dubai talk of "Bangladeshis" and "Indians" just by looking at them but IDK.

I've heard that Dubai isn't a great place for Indian/Pakistani immigrants apparently.
Original post by yasaminO_o
I'm Azerbaijani and sometimes I get lumped with Turks, Russians, Europeans, Asians, Persians, and I get over it. I literally don't care. I'm me. You're you. Why does it matter how people categorise you?

BTW Indians can be lumped in with:
- Europeans (Caucasians)
- Middle Easterners
- Indians
- Red Indians
- Aboriginals
- Africans
- East Asians (USA)
- Muslims (USA)
- Brown, along with Latinos (USA)m

I think that covers every race except Inuit.
Original post by Ahem-
I've heard that Dubai isn't a great place for Indian/Pakistani immigrants apparently.

Yeah. They "look down" on Pakistanis and Indians as if they weren't human. They treat them like dirt.m
Reply 149
Yeah. They "look down" on Pakistanis and Indians as if they weren't human. They treat them like dirt.m

Pretty sad, Arab privilege huh
Original post by nucdev
True, it's a language imported into Pakistan by the Nawabs of Uttar Pradesh and other parts of India.

I'm given to understand that in Pakistan, Urdu is seen as the "civilized" language of the educated, whereas actual native languages of Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashto etc. are seen as the languages of illiterate villagers.:dontknow:

Even Gujarati, the mother tongue of Jinnah (father of Pakistan) is a virtually dead language in Karachi where it used to be widely spoken.
Funnily enough, Jinnah could hardly even speak, read or write Urdu and yet wanted to make it the official language of Pakistan!

What is so true? That Urdu isn't the mother language? So what? It's the language now and wtf does it even matter? We're discussing ethnicity and race; who gives a flying toss about language? Why are we nitpicking just to further the divide? Some sick people, probably not even Asian, just hateful trolls.
BTW Indians can be lumped in with:
- Europeans (Caucasians)
- Middle Easterners
- Indians
- Red Indians
- Aboriginals
- Africans
- East Asians (USA)
- Muslims (USA)
- Brown, along with Latinos (USA)m

I think that covers every race except Inuit.

My point was why does it matter and why do you care
Original post by Ahem-
Pretty sad, Arab privilege huh

Oh seriously, stop! There's nothing advantageous about being Arab! :rolleyes: Maybe in an Arab country, inevitably???

It's only rich because of oil, which is right under their feet. And their invasions of other peoples' land since the dawn of their existence. So what?? Love yourself for who you are, where you're from, and stop worrying about others. For silliness like "facial shape." OP is on some kinda drug.
We have different face shapes. We have vastly different cultures.

It's like lumping Turkey or Syria in with Europe. How many on here would say Turkey or Syria are European countries and that Turkish people are European?

The differences between India and Pakistan are greater than the differences between Europe and Turkey.

How would you feel if someone asked a Turkish or Syrian person to represent the "European" ethnicity or race?

A Pakistani isn't the same ethnicity as other South Asians. Even Pakistanis themselves prefer to relate more to Middle Easterners. Pakistanis shouldn't be used to "box-tick" for other South Asians or Indians.

They might be part of an "Asian" ethnicity, but certainly not an "Indian" ethnicity.

Im both Syrian and Turkish, i dont consider myself European however i know many Turks that do.
Reply 154
Exactly. Preach it bruh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 155
BTW, the Swahili language is mutually intelligible with Arabic. Do you classify Somalis as Middle Easterners?

Somali people don't speak Swahili lol we speak Somali
Reply 156
Original post by rat poison
Oh seriously, stop! There's nothing advantageous about being Arab! :rolleyes: Maybe in an Arab country, inevitably???

It's only rich because of oil, which is right under their feet. And their invasions of other peoples' land since the dawn of their existence. So what?? Love yourself for who you are, where you're from, and stop worrying about others. For silliness like "facial shape." OP is on some kinda drug.

That's what I meant, didn't explain it.
Original post by PusE
Exactly. Preach it bruh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lmao
Original post by Arawelo

I know, had to not even comment on that foolery.
Original post by Arawelo

Original post by rat poison
I know, had to not even comment on that foolery.

I know. I messed up. Point is that Swahili people speak a language that's mutually intelligible with Arabic. I doubt anyone here would lump Swahilis and Arabs into one ethnic group.

Latest