Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Entry requirements watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing 6 subjects altogether (French, English, History, Criminology, General Studies and Extended Project) and I'm applying to ABB universities. However, it is not definite that I will attain an A and all of my targets are B grades. Would a uni still consider making me an offer due to the amount of A levels I'm presenting?

- Also, if an offer was made and I didn't get ABB on results day, would they still consider me then?

(Original post by mc_squared_)
    I'm doing 6 subjects altogether (French, English, History, Criminology, General Studies and Extended Project) and I'm applying to ABB universities. However, it is not definite that I will attain an A and all of my targets are B grades. Would a uni still consider making me an offer due to the amount of A levels I'm presenting?

- Also, if an offer was made and I didn't get ABB on results day, would they still consider me then?
    For most universities, you're only doing four A Levels that count (possibly three -- not sure what they think about Criminology). General Studies is frequently excluded from offers (or is sometimes accepted at AS but not at A Level) and the Extended Project Qualification, when accepted, is only equivalent to an AS, although it can be advantageous in showing your interest in your subject.

What are your predictions like? It's generally a bad idea to apply to ABB universities with BBBB predictions, unless the offer is made in UCAS points, in which case BBBB would be fine. Universities would rather you do well in three A Levels than do badly in four A Levels, so I suggest dropping the one you least enjoy, provided it's not relevant to what you're applying for. Taking three A Levels and getting ABB is better than taking four and getting BBBB.

Nobody can say what they'd do if you missed your offer on results day. That's entirely at the discretion of the admissions tutors. They may let you in, they may not.

ReputationRep:
    concentrate on 3 a levels. no uni asks for more and you increase your chances of getting the grades you need

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_squared_)
    . Would a uni still consider making me an offer due to the amount of A levels I'm presenting?
    Universities are not interested in quantity at A-level - they are interested in relevance and quality. Five A-levels and an EPQ are neither use nor ornament, especially since it appears you are going to end up with inferior grades because you are taking so many.

It is much better to offer AAAa than to offer BBBBB.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.