Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My parents are kinda ****ty watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys so basically for my GCSE'S I got 7A*'s and 2A's which is not too bad but I don't wanna brag long story short after results day my parents barely congratulated me! I just feel like whatever I do I'm always inadequate anyway the thing is our school is doing awards evening for the GCSE'S and my parents won't even bother turning up? I know seems like a lil issue but I kinda just feel like a piece of **** all the time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Like the day I got 98½% in a mock Maths O Level and my Mum said "What happened to the other 1½%?"

Some parents believe it is best not to praise so as to encourage greater effort. I lived under it. It is indeed ***t. It is a very common trait in Yorkshire, for example.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah its kinda painful tho cause you try so hard and you just wanna hear one sentence of praise or an emotion that they're proud and there isn't a shred like why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rishikasmiles)
    Yeah its kinda painful tho cause you try so hard and you just wanna hear one sentence of praise or an emotion that they're proud and there isn't a shred like why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I know how you feel, when I got an offer from Bristol and Nottingham (not even the polys) she was like 'are they even any good?' like seriously? Educate yourself please mum...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    Yeah I know how you feel, when I got an offer from Bristol and Nottingham (not even the polys) she was like 'are they even any good?' like seriously? Educate yourself please mum...
    That's really well done! Which one did you end up choosing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys so basically for my GCSE'S I got 7A*'s and 2A's which is not too bad but I don't wanna brag long story short after results day my parents barely congratulated me! I just feel like whatever I do I'm always inadequate anyway the thing is our school is doing awards evening for the GCSE'S and my parents won't even bother turning up? I know seems like a lil issue but I kinda just feel like a piece of **** all the time

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My parents didn't congratulate me when I got my A-level results which were fantastic. At first I was kind of hurt, but then I remembered that I did it for me, not for them. So I went home and ate a tub of ice-cream in bed, had a nap and chilled out

ReputationRep:
    Well I think you've done awesome. Some parents can be awkward, sometimes I think it's just better not to expect anything praise wise from them. Besides which deep down they are probably really proud and probably tell the neighbour and everyone else but you. It sucks. I think you expect it less with age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anomaly0)
    Well I think you've done awesome. Some parents can be awkward, sometimes I think it's just better not to expect anything praise wise from them. Besides which deep down they are probably really proud and probably tell the neighbour and everyone else but you. It sucks. I think you expect it less with age.
    Aw thanks - I guess parents are the hardest to please but hey its not the end of the world

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preetg97)
    My parents didn't congratulate me when I got my A-level results which were fantastic. At first I was kind of hurt, but then I remembered that I did it for me, not for them. So I went home and ate a tub of ice-cream in bed, had a nap and chilled out
    That's a good way to look at it but in the awards ceremony I might feel a lil **** not to see my parents in the audience but meanwhile grabbing the tub of icecream 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    their giving you tough love,they dont want to encourage complacency

ReputationRep:
    That's really well done! Which one did you end up choosing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks, I went for Bristol in the end. Where are you planning to apply?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I went for Bristol in the end. Where are you planning to apply?
    Bath,maybe Cambridge 😂😂😂 (never hurts to try eh?) but obvs a few others as good backup - what u studying

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simes)
    Like the day I got 98½% in a mock Maths O Level and my Mum said "What happened to the other 1½%?"

Some parents believe it is best not to praise so as to encourage greater effort. I lived under it. It is indeed ***t. It is a very common trait in Yorkshire, for example.
    Ouch man, that must've been a gutting feeling.

ReputationRep:
    My dad is the same, like I'd be given backhanded complements when it came to how well I achieved in school, or different academic or non-academic achievements. I just began my gap year and after having gone through a similar situation for the past 3/4 years you just tend to go **** it and be proud of your own achievements, regardless of your parents. Be thankful you're a better person than them and learn from your parents mistakes when it comes to your own children. (if you decide to have them)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pollysel97)
    My dad is the same, like I'd be given backhanded complements when it came to how well I achieved in school, or different academic or non-academic achievements. I just began my gap year and after having gone through a similar situation for the past 3/4 years you just tend to go **** it and be proud of your own achievements, regardless of your parents. Be thankful you're a better person than them and learn from your parents mistakes when it comes to your own children. (if you decide to have them)
    Yeah I've always thought I'm going to make my children feel adequate the feeling of not good nuff is gutting - thanks for your kinda words xoxo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Some parents are kind of indifferent to their children mine are sometimes like that

ReputationRep:
    Bath,maybe Cambridge 😂😂😂 (never hurts to try eh?) but obvs a few others as good backup - what u studying

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah definitely apply, I got an interview at Oxford which was a great experience even though I didn't get an offer! I'm doing chemistry, and you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely apply, I got an interview at Oxford which was a great experience even though I didn't get an offer! I'm doing chemistry, and you?
    I wanna do architecture let's see:awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    >OP, I am sorry that you feel your parents won't attend your award ceremony. That would be disappointing after you've done so well. What would happen if you asked your parents to attend? You know parents can get wrapped up in their own day to day problems....bad jobs, financial difficulties, poor health, etc. and maybe they aren't intentionally
    snubbing you. I hope not. Anyway, maybe mention that awards night for the GCSE's will be on X evening and since you're getting an award it would be nice if they could be there. Good luck.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.