Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I've just started 6th form at my local college and I chose A-Level Biology (why I'm not sure), but I am stuck on this one question which I don't understand at all and my teacher is the most unapproachable guy ever.

"A triglyceride does not contain sucrose or bond x (which I think I identified as a glycosidic bond). Give one other way in which the structure of a triglyceride is different to a olestra."

It's from a past paper which I can't find the mark scheme to and I literally have no clue what an olestra is.

So if you could help, that would be great thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If you're not expected to know what an olestra is (e.g. it's not in your spec) the answer will be somewhere on the paper. If they've given you a diagram of the structure of an olestra then you must use your knowledge of triglycerides to identify another difference.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for replying, I just sat and stared at it for ages and it clicked I think! It was something about what it contained!
    Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    triglycerides contain glycerol but olestra doesn't is the answer i think, i did this q a few weeks ago

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 22, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.