Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got a quick question regarding my back workouts for you lifters, it's quite a strange one.

Ok, so my overall back routine is quite solid. I mange to incorporate big compound movements into the session as well as isolation movements. However, I find that I struggle with pull-ups (when I'm fresh and after muscular exhaustion.) Don't get me wrong, I can still bang out a few sets of wide grips with reps ranging from 6-10, but they're far from comfortable. Therefore, I prefer to settle with several sets of wide grip cable pull-downs to hit my lats.

Now, here comes to the strange bit, I hope you guys can shed some light onto this for me. Obviously my back is quite sore a few days after doing back. But I find that I am a lot better at pull-ups during this period rather than on my back day. Yes, my lats are sore as **** whilst doing them but I find feeling them and getting the stretch helps me engage my lats better for an overall better pull, what the **** is that all about? I know it's probably not the wisest idea to do pull-ups when my back is sore, but that soreness really does allow me to perform them better.

Is there any science behind this or is my anatomy just ****ed up? Also, would you advise against doing pull-ups a few days after a back workout? (I'll normally do shoulders or something and chuck in a few sets of pull-ups).

Nice one guys if you read the whole post:yy:

TL;DR: Get the hell out!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    General advice is to do stuff more than once a week.. so yeah why not do pullups more than once a week?

You can't do pullups during your back routine probably as it's fatigued from your other lat work, so yeah. Do stuff more than once a week.

Das it mane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    General advice is to do stuff more than once a week.. so yeah why not do pullups more than once a week?

You can't do pullups during your back routine probably as it's fatigued from your other lat work, so yeah. Do stuff more than once a week.

Das it mane
    Yeah I thought as much.

So is your theory that the effects of in-session fatigue is worse than muscle soreness a few days after a workout?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    I know it's probably not the wisest idea to do pull-ups when my back is sore, but that soreness really does allow me to perform them better.
    Soreness is not a true indicator of recovery. You can be fully recovered and still be sore. If you perform better at pullups when your lats are still sore, then why does it matter? It's not going to make a massive difference in the grand scheme of things. Think of the bigger picture. I doubt you are going to look back in 10 years and think "Damn I wish I didn't do pullups when my lats were still sore".

ReputationRep:

Das it mane
    Also quick cheeky question, what's the chance of getting access to a thread Areebwithahat made a few years ago (it was closed and removed, but it offered so many lols).

Do you guys archive those threads or delete them completely?

You're a mod, sort us out if you can:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    So is your theory that the effects of in-session fatigue is worse than muscle soreness a few days after a workout?
    Definitely.

Also, I used to do chins every day. Just cos why not.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yeah I thought as much.

Yah

Also quick cheeky question, what's the chance of getting access to a thread Areebwithahat made a few years ago (it was closed and removed, but it offered so many lols).

Do you guys archive those threads or delete them completely?

You're a mod, sort us out if you can:awesome:
    They're put in the recycling bin, I can still see them mane. I'm not allowed to be called a mod tho anymore

ReputationRep:
    Yah

They're put in the recycling bin, I can still see them mane. I'm not allowed to be called a mod tho anymore
    Please retrieve a thread for me if you can, would love to see it

Also, why can I not call you a mod?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

Haha I'd love too, but I'd be banned for that I think I know the one you mean, some lols in there

You can call me a mod but I'm not one, I'm a TSR support team member since they removed a lot of our powers

ReputationRep:
    The back is pretty hard to overtrain, just do your pull ups.

I do pull ups at the end of every session on top of my other back work, I've never found it to be a problem.

ReputationRep:

I was making gains doing bicep once a week and not working out for the rest of the week until its been a week lol

ReputationRep:
    I do pull ups every day but can only max 12 in one go anyone know how to improve this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    I do pull ups every day but can only max 12 in one go anyone know how to improve this
    Go abroad and film 'an idiot abroad' then you will master pull ups
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's just where your lats are sore so that's where your attention is. You get the same effect if you "pre-fatigue" them and get a pump on them with a few sets of high rep/short rest lat pullovers or some other lat isolation movement, might be worth a shout but obviously it'll affect your strength levels on the pullups.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.