Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im going to be applying for animation/game art and design courses and im trying to write a personal statement. However most of the examples ive read and the personal statement helpers all mention things about books relating to the subject. How would this work with an animation course? Cause personally i havent read any books about it (dont even know if there are any) so what on earth would i write? I play a lot of games and watch a lot of films and their behind the scenes stuff and whatnot but i doubt that is the equivalent.
    Anyone reading this applied to a similar course? What sort of things did you write about instead of books? Help D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geora)
    Im going to be applying for animation/game art and design courses and im trying to write a personal statement. However most of the examples ive read and the personal statement helpers all mention things about books relating to the subject. How would this work with an animation course? Cause personally i havent read any books about it (dont even know if there are any) so what on earth would i write? I play a lot of games and watch a lot of films and their behind the scenes stuff and whatnot but i doubt that is the equivalent.
    Anyone reading this applied to a similar course? What sort of things did you write about instead of books? Help D:
    I'd say not to waste time talking about books or even buying one (you don't really need to), and use that space to talk about your experiences in animation (e.g. experience in any art related software such as Goanimation, Sketchbook pro, Blender, Flash or others that you've used and what you gained out of it) to really sell yourself.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Geora)
    It would be worth looking beyond the obvious - are there any blogs or TEDtalks on animation or visual narrative that you can find to talk about.

Even the most practical course (like the LCC animation degree) involves an element of theoretical work as well as skills. Have a look at the websites for your univetrsities - they'll often have specific advice about what they're looking for in a PS
    eg
    "Personal Statement
    "This is an important part of your application and should demonstrate to the team that you are interested in animation and that you have thought carefully about why you want to study on this course. You should ensure it is written clearly, and free of any spelling mistakes. It is your chance to impress the team by demonstrating you appreciate what the course can offer you and how you feel it will help you in the future.

"State what you personally would bring to the course, and that you are motivated and have a willingness to learn, explore and experiment. You can demonstrate this through your previous work experience or study, personal experience and your ambitions for personal development as a student at LCC."

http://www.arts.ac.uk/lcc/courses/un...ons-animation/
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Geora)
    Hi Geora,

I am currently an animation student at Ravensbourne, and I recall my experience of having to write a personal statement.

Although it is good of you to read examples and research into how you feel the statement should be, remember there is no set way of waiting one, as highlighted it is a 'personal' statement it is really geared towards how you are, they want to know what you are like, what interests you and your passion towards the course.

When I was writing my personal statement I did not include any books either, I am not much of a book reader, instead just like you, I played a lot of games watched a lot of films and looked into the behind the scenes because it was so much more appealing to me.

So when you write the personal statement, make sure you highlight the things that interests you, things that show you enjoy animation this is a course that requires you to be active outside of class, not just inside.

For future references, this may come in handy when it comes to interviews and building your portfolio which you need later. Click Me

Hope this is of great help,
    Jay

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.