Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how these are calculated?

e.g.
    "Candidates were called for interview if their TSA score was above 57.75 or their contextual GCSE score was above 0.00 (i.e. a positive score). Candidates not meeting either of these criteria may have been invited for interview after careful consideration of other factors".
    Keble geography admissions feedback.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    Does anyone know how these are calculated
    http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/...ls_08/s3.shtml
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    That's the government's calculation. I'm not sure if Oxford uses the same method.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Maybe BrasenoseAdm can help...?

ReputationRep:
    This might help slightly (not that I understand it):
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-726239
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    This might help slightly (not that I understand it):
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-726239
    Easy peasy. Not...

But I *think* it means the candidate gets a positive score if they are outperforming their peers in the context of their school.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by jneill)
    Maybe BrasenoseAdm can help...?
    Contextualised GCSE A*s estimates, using leastsquares, the expected number of A*s a candidate will have using the
    proportion of pupils obtaining 5 or more GCSEs at grades Cand higher at the candidates’ schools as a single predictor.

The dataset consists of all University applicants with 6 ormore GCSEs. Actual A* performance (Y) is compared with the predicted
    score (Y-hat). The data is then normalised as follows: whereY-hat = Y, a candidate is scored at 0. Over- or under- performance is expressed
    in terms of ‘standard deviations’ from the slope of the linear regression line.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Contextualised GCSE A*s estimates, using leastsquares, the expected number of A*s a candidate will have using the
    proportion of pupils obtaining 5 or more GCSEs at grades Cand higher at the candidates’ schools as a single predictor.

The dataset consists of all University applicants with 6 ormore GCSEs. Actual A* performance (Y) is compared with the predicted
    score (Y-hat). The data is then normalised as follows: whereY-hat = Y, a candidate is scored at 0. Over- or under- performance is expressed
    Er, thanks

So was this correct? "I *think* it means the candidate gets a positive score if they are outperforming their peers in the context of their school."

ReputationRep:

The proportion of pupils getting 5 A* - C changes each year. When doing this do you use the average of say the last five years or the data of year the applicant sat the GCSE? how does it work?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Contextualised GCSE A*s estimates, using least squares, the expected number of A*s a candidate will have using the
    proportion of pupils obtaining 5 or more GCSEs at grades C and higher at the candidates’ schools as a single predictor.

The dataset consists of all University applicants with 6 or more GCSEs. Actual A* performance (Y) is compared with the predicted
    score (Y-hat). The data is then normalised as follows: where Y-hat = Y, a candidate is scored at 0. Over- or under- performance is expressed
    Are you saying (broadly) that the result is positive if an applicant's number of A*'s is greater than the expected number for the applicant's school? If so, they must be interviewing an awful lot of geography applicants at Keble!

Also, from 2012 The Welsh Baccalaureate GCSE was compulsory and awarded on coursework only. I am not aware of any pupils failing it (I don't think the teachers let that happen). It counts as 3 Gcse grade A's! I quite approve of the work they do for it but it does seem that it will seriously skew your statistics. Or possibly, the Welsh Assembly has seriously shot itself in the foot.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.