The Student Room Group

Applying to uni with BCD (retaking) but don't know the sort of uni's I can apply to.

I take

English Literature (AS grade B, predicted A2 grade A)
History (AS grade C, predicted grade B) - RETAKING
Law (AS grade D, predicted grade either C or B) - RETAKING

In all honesty, these results are unusual for me, however I lost motivation during my first year of alevels and didn't revise for my exams at all.

I'll be retaking modules in both history and law to hopefully bring my grades up to ABC (or even ABB but this isn't as likely as I have other exams to revise for).

I know I've left it really late to be deciding where to apply but I have some universities in mind, however I'm not sure what would be deemed 'realistic', or if I should just take a gap year to apply with my full Alevels, however my parents are discouraging me from doing so.

My only option as I can see it would be to apply to average universities and then try to get into redbrick universities through adjustment or clearing with the grades I will attain in the future, which will likely be ABB.

But yeah, I'm stuck, I don't know what universities would accept me, if anybody could give me some sort of idea if it would be universities that require either BBC, BBB, or ABB realistically.

Thank you xo
It might be best to apply once you have your grades, if you did manage to get ABB you could apply to a much wider range of unis that you could atm :smile:
Original post by Pollyanna1998
I take

English Literature (AS grade B, predicted A2 grade A)
History (AS grade C, predicted grade B) - RETAKING
Law (AS grade D, predicted grade either C or B) - RETAKING

In all honesty, these results are unusual for me, however I lost motivation during my first year of alevels and didn't revise for my exams at all.

I'll be retaking modules in both history and law to hopefully bring my grades up to ABC (or even ABB but this isn't as likely as I have other exams to revise for).

I know I've left it really late to be deciding where to apply but I have some universities in mind, however I'm not sure what would be deemed 'realistic', or if I should just take a gap year to apply with my full Alevels, however my parents are discouraging me from doing so.

My only option as I can see it would be to apply to average universities and then try to get into redbrick universities through adjustment or clearing with the grades I will attain in the future, which will likely be ABB.

But yeah, I'm stuck, I don't know what universities would accept me, if anybody could give me some sort of idea if it would be universities that require either BBC, BBB, or ABB realistically.

Thank you xo

If you have predictions of ABB, then applying to universities requiring ABB should be fine.
Obviously apply to one/two safer universities, which have BBB offers.
But at the end of the day it depends where you would rather see yourself.

You could alternatively take a gap year and apply with achieved grades
Original post by Rickstahhh
If you have predictions of ABB, then applying to universities requiring ABB should be fine.
Obviously apply to one/two safer universities, which have BBB offers.
But at the end of the day it depends where you would rather see yourself.

You could alternatively take a gap year and apply with achieved grades

I didn't think that universities took predicted grades into much consideration though, especially as I would be applying with poor grades.
Original post by Pollyanna1998
I didn't think that universities took predicted grades into much consideration though, especially as I would be applying with poor grades.

Universities do take predicted grades into consideration. But they are cautious about them as most schools over predict.
But seeing as your predictions are only one grade above your AS, they are fairly credible.
So you can safely apply to BBB/ABB universities.

All you need to do is make sure you work hard in A2 and nail them grades :biggrin:
Original post by Rickstahhh
Universities do take predicted grades into consideration. But they are cautious about them as most schools over predict.
But seeing as your predictions are only one grade above your AS, they are fairly credible.
So you can safely apply to BBB/ABB universities.

All you need to do is make sure you work hard in A2 and nail them grades :biggrin:

Thank you for your advice, it's appreciated :smile:
the following offer ABB
Goldsmiths, Keele, Kent, Leicester, Queen Mary, Reading and Royal Holloway.

BBC/BBB
Bangor, Bath Spa, Bournemouth, Swansea, Coventry and De Montford. Check What Uni and put in grades for fuller details.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending