Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Should cigarettes be made illegal? watch

• View Poll Results: Should cigarettes be made illegal?
    Yes - ban them!
    64.17%
    No - keep on puffing...
    35.83%

• TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    We're already a fair way along this road. Smoking is banned in public spaces, cigarettes are hidden behind screens in the shops... So what should the next step be - should cigarettes be outright banned?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, let smokers increase the risk of getting cancer.

Cigs act as a natural cleanser of the gene pool.

Nomsayian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shooks)
    We're already a fair way along this road. Smoking is banned in public spaces, cigarettes are hidden behind screens in the shops... So what should the next step be - should cigarettes be outright banned?
    Most people already choose not to smoke, and it's clear that soon it will only be a minority of people left smoking. Making cigarettes illegal would create so many problems. Many people who smoke wouldn't stop, instead they would just be breaking the law. Taxes would skyrocket to fund jails and rehab programmes, since it would cost a lot more than we currently pay to treat smokers who have become ill. Let's just leave smoking alone. It's dying out rapidly anyway.

ReputationRep:
    There should be more emphasis on hazards and the consequences of smoking cigarettes in education to rise awareness. Banning them doesn't resolve the problem.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    People should be free to smoke in their own homes, as it only harms them. (obviously if you smoke around your kids you're an enormous turd, but the government can't stop you). I think this should be the same for most, if not all, drugs.

ReputationRep:
    I wish they were. I hate when people smoke in busy places like outside of a train station or shopping areas. I can't even remember the amount of times I've been walking behind someone and all of their smoke is blowing in my face :mad:
    I don't understand why some smokers can be so inconsiderate. IMO if you are walking in a crowd or infront of lots of people, don't smoke. Go smoke somewhere else

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely cigarettes are poison and we should continue to deter people from smoking regularly/frequently.

But I don't think banning it will deter people from obtaining cigs. If anything it would perk people's interest and motivate them to rebel

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be cost effective. The sale of cigarettes generates about £12 billion in tax revenue while only costing £4 billion in NHS fees.

It is a money maker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Holy sh*t. The rest of the world is progressively deregulating and decriminalising "potentially harmful substances" in the name of libertarian values and to allow people to get the help they want without the police looking over their shoulder. Only the UK would be so backward as to go entirely in the other direction.

ReputationRep:
    Itd be like a british version of the prohibition, pointless and wouldnt work, people would still smoke anything they could, people would start smoking as a cool way to break the law

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CAElite)
    Holy sh*t. The rest of the world is progressively deregulating and decriminalising "potentially harmful substances" in the name of libertarian values and to allow people to get the help they want without the police looking over their shoulder. Only the UK would be so backward as to go entirely in the other direction.
    Potentially harmful? What isn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No I think it would cause more problems than it solved. Banning cigarettes wouldn't change the fact that a lot of people are already addicted to smoking & would just create a massive black market.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well, the outcome of the poll, even when it gets busy, is going to be obvious since the young (not so) liberal elite in this country don't seem to like the idea of people being able to do what they want and constantly strive to do what they can to stop people doing things that they (the rabid lefties) disagree with.

There should be a parallel poll comparing people's views on smoking tobacco to the decriminalisation of drugs, since that seems to be rather popular.

ReputationRep:
    Smoking isn't uniformly banned in public spaces.

The balance was struck when we banned smoking in enclosed indoor spaces a few years ago. On principle it's time we left people alone to make their own lifestyle choices with regards to smoking. The government has no business at all telling someone what they can do with themselves on their own time and when they aren't significantly harming people around them. To ban it outright would be an outrageous assault on individual liberty, and all those people who don't smoke and who want such a ban should remember that no man is an island. First they came for the smokers, and I did not speak up, because I was not a smoker...

Practically, banning smoking would result in a massive tax hole for the treasury at a time of relative economic vulnerability which non-smokers would be made to compensate the government for themselves (taxes on tobacco amount to the equivalent of 1/10 of the total NHS budget and vastly outweigh the amount spent on treatment bills for smoking-related illnesses), and a mushrooming in crime by smokers and black market dealers at a time when the police service is so stretched it is now openly refusing to attend to burglaries.

We have neither the money nor the public services for luxuries like dictating the population's lifestyle choices, and we wouldn't have the right to if we did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinkerbell_xxx)
    I wish they were. I hate when people smoke in busy places like outside of a train station or shopping areas. I can't even remember the amount of times I've been walking behind someone and all of their smoke is blowing in my face :mad:
    I don't understand why some smokers can be so inconsiderate. IMO if you are walking in a crowd or infront of lots of people, don't smoke. Go smoke somewhere else
    Essentially then you want to stop people from doing something by force of the law because you find it irritating. What a moronic position.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure depends on cost benefit analysis. Personally i would say yes on a moral basis.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by a noble chance)
    Essentially then you want to stop people from doing something by force of the law because you find it irritating. What a moronic position.
    How about, we just take away people's freedom of speech entirely, because listening to their incessant complaints is irritating.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether cigarettes should be made illegal. I think yes because of the health and monetary reasons (personal finance). I think no because it would drive it underground, at least when it's legal we can regulate it accordingly (banning it in pubs, cars, with children etc.). Smoking probably contributes a fair bit to the economy (when you include e-cigs, patches, lighters as well) but then again illegality doesn't prevent the drug or sex trade from making loads of money.

ReputationRep:
    I think the question that has to be answered is what will the UK government tax (or where will they increase taxes) to raise the 13 billion a year they will lose if they ban tobacco?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Hugs31)
    I'm not sure whether cigarettes should be made illegal. I think yes because of the health and monetary reasons (personal finance). I think no because it would drive it underground, at least when it's legal we can regulate it accordingly (banning it in pubs, cars, with children etc.). Smoking probably contributes a fair bit to the economy (when you include e-cigs, patches, lighters as well) but then again illegality doesn't prevent the drug or sex trade from making loads of money.
    The important part of personal finance is the personal bit, it is for the
    individual to decide how to spend their income, post tax, not the state, so that's somewhat of a moot point. As for drugs and sex slave making loads, that is for the individuals, not the exchequer, and I think that it doesn't go on the GDP figure either, although I may be wrong on that part.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.