The Student Room Group

Should cigarettes be made illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shooks
We're already a fair way along this road. Smoking is banned in public spaces, cigarettes are hidden behind screens in the shops... So what should the next step be - should cigarettes be outright banned?

smoke weed everyday
Let's just ban everything. That seems to be the attitude of most people on this site.
yes! lets fill up the jails with tobacco smokers!
on a serious note, the fact that so many (supposedly educated) people have voted to ban smoking is genuinely terrifying.
Original post by Jammy Duel
You said absolutely nothing about usefulness, merely the health and environmental damage, things that all things I listed are just as bad for. Best way to protect people's health and the environment: genocide.

Your second section implies you believe that vehicle and power plant emissions don't do the same thing...

Posted from TSR Mobile

A smoker smoking close to the same people regularly leads to some of those people dying from second hand smoke or getting an illness like lung cancer as a result of it, vehicle and power plant emissions causing death and illness aren't due to the affect of one person.I also believe that vehicle and power plant emissions need to be stopped we need to invest completely in renewable energy (but vehicles and power plants are certainly more useful than people smoking cigarettes anyway, energy and transport are essential needs smoking is not) so smoking should be stopped.
I would love to see cigarettes banned because I think they're so stupid, but it would cause many problems & waste resource/police time if we did ban them - I say let I people smoke them & die a slow, cancerous death.
Surely eventually people will see they're not a great idea?!
Original post by Frostyjoe
No, that will only make smokers angry. I think they should do the following though:

1. Reduce the number of cigarettes in a packet.
2. Increase the price further.
3. BAN smokers from smoking outside beside DOOR ENTRY'S
4. Build designated shelters in university campuses - ban people from smoking outside these shelters. I'm sick of people blowing smoke in my face or smoking when i'm walking behind them.
5. Ban smoking in cars.
6. Reduce the amount of nicotine in cigarettes.
7. Reduce the amount of poisonous substances in cigarettes.
8. Attempt to alter cigarettes so that they do not produce the same terrible smell.

I'd be happy with this as a compromise if 9. Ban smokers from smoking outside in restaurants. Although 1, 2, 6, 7 and 8 are very non-specific about the amounts.
I'm not sure what the point of 5 is though.

Another compromise I'd be happy with is if they were banned in public, so people could still smoke on their own land(or rented assuming their landlord permits them).
Original post by Onde
:tongue: I cannot support either poll option because of the way they are worded.

Banning cigarettes would be utterly untenable...it would do more harm than good.

And also the fact that there are only two options to suggest that they are the only two solutions.
(edited 8 years ago)
people saying ban them have never smoked are being drowned by propaganda
Public smoking should be banned. Getting fed up of having to hold my breath whilst walking among people puffing away on the streets of London.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Archdukes
GABBS.jpg Relevant.
Why are the majority here for limiting human liberty? Are Europeans really that sensitive that they cannot endure a few seconds of inhaling tobacco when passing a smoker?

When I lived in a city it was everywhere. You couldn't go 5 minues without having to hold your breath. Either someone on the pavement infront/passing you or the 5 or so standing outside the entrance to a public building.

It even came into my flat from people smoking outside the window/near the vents....that's my living space.

Bus stops were the worst. The shelters occupied by one or two smokers puffing away in their box whilst everyone else stands in the rain.

I've only ever met one considerate smoker, one.
(edited 8 years ago)
It would not accomplish anything.
Reply 111
Yes. Let's widen the war on drugs to include something that is addictive and has a HUGE user base. *sigh*

It didn't work with alcohol, it doesn't work with the current illegal drugs and it won't work with tobacco.
Original post by Economists
yes! lets fill up the jails with tobacco smokers!
on a serious note, the fact that so many (supposedly educated) people have voted to ban smoking is genuinely terrifying.

It really is isn't it. This is actually how some people think.
But smoking's so damn awesome.

All the cool kids do it.
Original post by morgan8002
I'd be happy with this as a compromise if 9. Ban smokers from smoking outside in restaurants. Although 1, 2, 6, 7 and 8 are very non-specific about the amounts.

Another compromise I'd be happy with is if they were banned in public, so people could still smoke on their own land(or rented assuming their landlord permits them).

Basically, ban them from smoking on footpaths and outside entrances.
Original post by Frostyjoe
Basically, ban them from smoking on footpaths and outside entrances.

Which leaves?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't smoking banned in cars now?
Shelters.
Original post by Ohtereeitsfarah
Isn't smoking banned in cars now?

forgot to say with a child under age.
in my opinion, if you want to force people into criminality just for wanting a cigarette, then you're a ****. you should just let people live their lives so long as you're not affected - and even if you're "affected", is it really something to get policemen involved with?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending