Turn on thread page Beta

What A-Levels are people thinking of choosing? watch

ReputationRep:
    Obviously people are thinking about A-Level choices since the time to apply for Sixth Form is coming up

So I was just wondering what people were choosing - I think I'm gonna go for English Lit, Maths, Economics and French!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cherryblossoming)
    Obviously people are thinking about A-Level choices since the time to apply for Sixth Form is coming up

So I was just wondering what people were choosing - I think I'm gonna go for English Lit, Maths, Economics and French!
    I'm going to do English Lit, French, History, Philosphy and Economics hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry, Biology, Maths and English Literature are what I have in mind so far. Probably spanish too.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Business and PE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    I'm going to do English Lit, French, History, Philosphy and Economics hopefully.
    Yay, English Lit, French and Economics! :excited:

How are you feeling about French? I know it's really hard, but I absolutely adore French!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Yay, English Lit, French and Economics! :excited:

How are you feeling about French? I know it's really hard, but I absolutely adore French!
    :lol::five:

J'ai hâte de commencer AS Français comme je la trouve époustouflant (ainsi que Anglais et tous l'autre sujets que j'étudierai :ahee:) :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    :lol::five:

J'ai hâte de commencer AS Français comme je la trouve époustouflant (ainsi que Anglais et tous l'autre sujets que j'étudierai :ahee:) :woo:
    I have ______ (though I'm guessing it's actually going to be a different expression with the "hâte") to start AS french as I find it __________ ( like (?) English and all the other subjects that I will study)

. . .

You just reminded me how basic my French skills are haha

ReputationRep:
    I think my list will mainly be made up of facilitating subjects, and the subjects I am interested in (and enjoy!)

I have a rough plan in mind:

- Computer Science
    - Maths (Doubtful ill do further)
    - Physics

These three subjects intertwine a lot so it will "condense" the 3 a bit.

I am unsure about taking a 4th A-level and what that will be as of yet - It may be something different to add a bit of "spice" like psychology.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I have ______ (though I'm guessing it's actually going to be a different expression with the "hâte" to start AS french as I find it __________ ( like (?) English and all the other subjects that I will study)

. . .

You just reminded me how basic my French skills are haha
    It's a weird structure which loosely translates to: I am excited for/to
    Époustouflant = amazing
    Ainsi que = As well as.

:lol: I'm sure you're really good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr...)
    It's a weird structure which loosely translates to: I am excited for/to
    Époustouflant = amazing
    Ainsi que = As well as.

:lol: I'm sure you're really good!
    Je vois! I really like the sound of époustouflant as well it sounds much cooler than those adjectives like génial and super (though not gonna lie, saying super in a french accent is pretty cool too).

Do you do duolingo? I love duolingo - I try to do it everyday as well.

(Original post by Jor64)
    I think my list will mainly be made up of facilitating subjects, and the subjects I am interested in (and enjoy!)I have a rough plan in mind:- Computer Science- Maths (Doubtful ill do further)- PhysicsThese three subjects intertwine a lot so it will "condense" the 3 a bit.I am unsure about taking a 4th A-level and what that will be as of yet - It may be something different to add a bit of "spice" like psychology.
    That's great! I don't think I'll do Further Maths either - I'm in set 1 so our teacher's always going on about how we should do it, but I just don't love maths enough to dedicate to of my A-Level slots to it And you must be really smart for doing physics, like I am so terribly terrible at physics I can't even explain.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of taking Maths (would love to do further maths but don't have enough slots), Chemistry, Physics and either french or Spanish, can't decide x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Je vois! I really like the sound of époustouflant as well it sounds much cooler than those adjectives like génial and super (though not gonna lie, saying super in a french accent is pretty cool too).

Do you do duolingo? I love duolingo - I try to do it everyday as well.

That's great! I don't think I'll do Further Maths either - I'm in set 1 so our teacher's always going on about how we should do it, but I just don't love maths enough to dedicate to of my A-Level slots to it And you must be really smart for doing physics, like I am so terribly terrible at physics I can't even explain.
    Yas, le mot époustouflant est époustouflant
    French words in general are just amazeballs :ahee: My favourite saying is "à petit peu"

I do Duolingo but I use it for German and But I may switch to Spanish :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    You have a very strong set of A levels that actually go very well with each other, but provide enough differentiation between them to make things continually interesting.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Bilogy
    Chemistry
    Maths
    possibly phsychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jor64)
    Thank you!
    You have a very strong set of A levels that actually go very well with each other, but provide enough differentiation between them to make things continually interesting.

Good luck!
    Thanks! It's really reassuring to hear that

What are you thinking of doing at Uni then? I want to study law, hence the variety of A-Levels haha.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I'm a current year 12 student doing history and economics on the new syllabi - if you have any questions about studying those two subjects, do feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh it's a great time to start thinking about A-level choices, but for at least the majority of people in my year they changed from the beginning of Y11 to the end of term 1 in Y12! I was originally going to take Maths, Biology, History and Economics but ended up taking Maths, Biology, History and Politics. But even thinking back to when I was in Y9 - I wanted to do A-levels in Business, Economics and Statistics!

If anyone has any questions about AS Biology, Maths, Politics or/and History - just quote me/message me/post on my profile!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Oooh it's a great time to start thinking about A-level choices, but for at least the majority of people in my year they changed from the beginning of Y11 to the end of term 1 in Y12! I was originally going to take Maths, Biology, History and Economics but ended up taking Maths, Biology, History and Politics. But even thinking back to when I was in Y9 - I wanted to do A-levels in Business, Economics and Statistics!

If anyone has any questions about AS Biology, Maths, Politics or/and History - just quote me/message me/post on my profile!
    What are history and maths like? Are they hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonyeka)
    What are history and maths like? Are they hard?
    History I found to be a HUGE step up from GCSE. It took me pretty much the whole of the first term to get used to it, but now luckily I really enjoy it and am finding it interesting! There is a lot of content to get your head around, a lot of historical interpretations, reading, essay writing and you need to be able to formulate solid arguments quickly, coherently and accurately.

Maths isn't too bad at all really. Just focus in lessons, do the work and only do questions beneficial to you (don't do similar questions, do a variety) and you cannot be complacent with the C1 module. Just because they have the GCSE topics with it, doesn't make it easy. The questions tend to be more complex and you need to apply more logic to your answers. I've also been practicing the topics over and over again to make sure I can do all of the possible questions and understand what I need to do in the exam. M1 and C2 I know are going to be harder, but it won't be impossible and providing I practice frequently and watch videos on the methods I should do okay!

HOWEVER A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE DROPPED MATHS DUE TO CONSTANT GRADING - PRETTY MUCH EVERY PIECE OF WORK IS GRADED AND SCRUTINISED BY THE TEACHER, AND YOU HAVE MULTIPLE TESTS AND ASSIGNMENTS EACH WEEK AND IN REALITY TO DO WELL YOU NEED TO BE GETTING AN A IN C1 (AT LEAST 80%, PREFERABLY 90%). The constant grading is beneficial but it can sometimes make you feel sh*t, you just need to get used to being hard on yourself and your teacher being hard on you.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! It's really reassuring to hear that

What are you thinking of doing at Uni then? I want to study law, hence the variety of A-Levels haha.
    It's hard to say at this stage. I will probably pick the subject I enjoy the most, which would be computer science, with physics being a close second.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.