Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When a number X is increased by 10% its value becomes Y. When anumber Z is decreased by 10% its value becomes Y. By that percentagemust X be increased so its value equals Z?

All i have is Y= 11X/10 and Y=9Z/10

ReputationRep:
    22.22%
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ErniePicks)
    When a number X is increased by 10% its value becomes Y. When anumber Z is decreased by 10% its value becomes Y. By that percentagemust X be increased so its value equals Z?

All i have is Y= 11X/10 and Y=9Z/10
    You have two simultaneous equations there.. what can you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    You have two simultaneous equations there.. what can you do?
    If i substitute it in then it's 11X/10=9Z/10 i have no diea what to do next.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    If i substitute it in then it's 11X/10=9Z/10 i have no diea what to do next.
    Good job :borat:

So if you look at going from X to Y, a 10% increase means you do 11/10 * X = Y (which you've done already), so the number you're going from * the percentage it's increasing/decreasing by = the new number.

So if you wanted to make your substituted equation look like the X to Y one, what would you do?

ReputationRep:
    Good job :borat:

So if you look at going from X to Y, a 10% increase means you do 11/10 * X = Y (which you've done already), so the number you're going from * the percentage it's increasing/decreasing by = the new number.

So if you wanted to make your substituted equation look like the X to Y one, what would you do?
    I'm really sorry but i don't really understand it. Is the equation

(11/10*X)* N%=(9/10X)

That doesn't look right to me, but even if it i have no clue where to go from there
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I'm really sorry but i don't really understand it. Is the equation

(11/10*X)* N%=(9/10X)

That doesn't look right to me, but even if it i have no clue where to go from there
    Not quite.

For X and Z you have a single fraction (which represents the percantage) multiplied by X or Z to get 1 * Y (or just Y).

So you want there to be a single fraction that you multiply X by to get Z and from that fraction you can work out the answer.

ReputationRep:
    Not quite.

For X and Z you have a single fraction (which represents the percantage) multiplied by X or Z to get 1 * Y (or just Y).

So you want there to be a single fraction that you multiply X by to get Z and from that fraction you can work out the answer.
    I am so sorry i just can't seem to wrap my head around this. Is there a worked example of a similar question to this explaining the steps that you have a link for or the name of what type of question this is so i could search around?

Once again so sorry, i really appreciated your help
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I am so sorry i just can't seem to wrap my head around this. Is there a worked example of a similar question to this explaining the steps that you have a link for or the name of what type of question this is so i could search around?

Once again so sorry, i really appreciated your help
    Not to worry. I think if you understand how to do this question you'll be fine if you ever see it again.

If I asked you to make Z the subject of the formula (the substituted one) what would you do? And how does that answer look similar to the two equations that you started with?

ReputationRep:
    Not to worry. I think if you understand how to do this question you'll be fine if you ever see it again.

If I asked you to make Z the subject of the formula (the substituted one) what would you do? And how does that answer look similar to the two equations that you started with?
    I would just divide both sides by 9/10 and that means it would be Z= 11/10*10/9*X
    which is 110/90*X which is equivalent to 1.22*z= x OHHHHHH SO THATS HOW X HAS TO INCREASE BY 22% TO EQUAL Z!!!!!!! jesus sosrry i have no idea how i didn't manage to put that together. Thank you so much for the help, i think if i ahd put it in as ratios (0.9 and 1.1) i would have noticed sooner. Thanks so much mAN

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 22, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.