Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in Y11 taking my GCSE exams - and was wondering of the possibility of my grades getting me into Cambridge or Oxford (I know it's either one or the other).
    I am predicted A* in English Lang & Lit, B's in Science, a C in Maths (dreadful I know!), A in Media, A in Geography and A in Drama - and at A Level I wish to take English Lit, History (if I get an above a B at GCSE I can take it as an A Level), Geography (and I'm not quite sure on my fourth!)
    For my A-Level subjects, I am quite sure that I could excel in them as I have genuine passion for each of the subjects I have picked and will excel (in the least big headed manner possible!) in them. At Uni, I wish to take up an English degree - as that is the one subject that I love dearly and find extremely natural.

From the limited amount of info I have provided, what are my chances of getting into Oxbridge (and which one do you think I have a better chance in?)
    Also, if you have any ideas on extras to boost up my applications then please let me know!

Much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    For now, focus on doing really well in your GCSEs you have months and two long breaks (Christmas and Easter) and a few half terms to work really, really hard. If you use this time effectively and work to the best of your ability, you should definitely be able to supersede your predicted grades. After you get your GCSE results, you'll be in a better position to decide whether Oxbridge is for you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I think you stand a chance for sure! I got the exact same (well, similar: my other As were in sciences) GCSE results as your predictions and I applied for English this cycle! So if you're afraid you can't do TOO well at GCSE because of the fact that you're taking subjects you dislike, then try your best to give it 100% at AS-Level and wow them with your UMS!!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    What kind of school do you go to, if you don't mind me asking?

That aside, as others have said the main thing is to do as well in your GCSEs as you can. Pick a facilitating 4th subject at AS to complement your other choices.

Oxford has a pre-admissions/pre-interview test called the ELAT. Scoring well in this plays a huge role in getting you to the interview stage :yes: I am not sure if Cambridge has a similar test but to stand a good chance with Cambridge, you would have to have high UMS marks at AS Levedicted at least A*AA for A2 (Oxford is currently still AAA).

It is worth checking the course contents of the English courses at both institutions and seeing how/if they differ, to help you narrow down which of the two to apply to. For example, there is no way I would have ever got onto the Cambridge music course and the course content did not play to my strengths. So I applied to Oxford and got in there instead The course structures are quite different in that I believe at Cambridge, you have exams every year and they count towards your overall degree mark. Whereas would first year exams that need to be passed but do not count, and then third year exams for which you have to learn EVERYTHING because your entire degree classification depends on those.

Good luck and work hard! :work:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    *high UMS marks at AS Level and be predicted at least A*AA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    *high UMS marks at AS Level and be predicted at least A*AA
    The problem is that UMS will have ceased to exist by the time he sits A levels. So he will have GCSEs in some of his A level subjects of A* & A and the rest B & C. I think he will need to exceed his predicted GCSE grades to stand a significant chance. If he does indeed improve from an A in GCSE to an A* in A2 then I guess he has a reasonable post qualification chance. At the moment we still don't know what Cambridge plan to do about the demise of AS marks.

OP most people who get in with below average GCSEs (by which I mean less than 6A*+) come from very poor schools or disadvantaged backgrounds and didn't work for GCSEs or had atrocious teaching. If you can't get an A* in subjects you are passionate about, working hard for GCSE, I would worry.

However it never hurts to aim high as long as you make rational decisions when you finally apply.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Colmans)
    The problem is that UMS will have ceased to exist by the time he sits A levels. So he will have GCSEs in some of his A level subjects of A* & A and the rest B & C. I think he will need to exceed his predicted GCSE grades to stand a significant chance. If he does indeed improve from an A in GCSE to an A* in A2 then I guess he has a reasonable post qualification chance. At the moment we still don't know what Cambridge plan to do about the demise of AS marks.

OP most people who get in with below average GCSEs (by which I mean less than 6A*+) come from very poor schools or disadvantaged backgrounds and didn't work for GCSEs or had atrocious teaching. If you can't get an A* in subjects you are passionate about, working hard for GCSE, I would worry.

However it never hurts to aim high as long as you make rational decisions when you finally apply.
    My bad, I keep forgetting about the reforms to the A Level structure :getmecoat:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.