Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I took Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Computing last year for my AS and got 4 B's. Whilst I was happy I was hoping for better, I was let down by 2 exams preventing me from A grades. I plan to resit these 2 exams (Decision 1 and Computing 2) as I got A's in all the other exams in those subjects (Core 1&2, Comp 1) alongside Physics 2. Physics I got a B in Unit 1, C in unit 2 & C in ISA

I wish to study Computer Science Bsc at University

My current choices for universities this year are Warwick, Birmingham, Manchester (All AAA), Nottingham (AAB) and Sheffield/Leeds (ABB).

Im unsure about leeds and sheffield, Im going to sheffield this saturday but its the only university ive found that is good in the league tables for CompSci with grade ABB.

Do you guys feel these are realistic aspirations? Im also taking Extended Project which im doing on Artificial Intelligence and I feel my personal statement is very good (dont mean to sound big headed)

Thank you for reading,
    Loz

ReputationRep:
    What are your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasanalm)
    What are your predicted grades?
    I think they're all B's but its really early in the year so they arent accurate

ReputationRep:
    If you can get your predicted grades up to AAA then yes, it'd be worth applying. HOWEVER, I would recommend that you apply to atleast one university that's BBB or lower just so that on results day if you get the same results, you're not going to end up going nowhere because after all, your insurance is meant to be your safe choice

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz8)
    Hi,
    I took Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Computing last year for my AS and got 4 B's. Whilst I was happy I was hoping for better, I was let down by 2 exams preventing me from A grades. I plan to resit these 2 exams (Decision 1 and Computing 2) as I got A's in all the other exams in those subjects (Core 1&2, Comp 1) alongside Physics 2. Physics I got a B in Unit 1, C in unit 2 & C in ISA

I wish to study Computer Science Bsc at University

My current choices for universities this year are Warwick, Birmingham, Manchester (All AAA), Nottingham (AAB) and Sheffield/Leeds (ABB).

Im unsure about leeds and sheffield, Im going to sheffield this saturday but its the only university ive found that is good in the league tables for CompSci with grade ABB.

Do you guys feel these are realistic aspirations? Im also taking Extended Project which im doing on Artificial Intelligence and I feel my personal statement is very good (dont mean to sound big headed)

Thank you for reading,
    Loz
    That's not a good idea as those universities requiring AAA are very popular and many of their applicants have high grade. You should apply to more courses that require AAB, but if you can get your teachers to predict you at least AAB it should be alright.

Also, leeds and Sheffield requier a minimum of AAB now.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but the earlier you apply, (depending on the uni), you may have a higher chance of getting an offer with a lower score. You must also look up their entry tariff statistics on unistats to check whether they accept lower offers. (https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subje...eturnTo/Search - for Nottingham Uni).

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to work on resits, Its worth it as you get them early enough if you jo them in january.

ReputationRep:
    ''Yes but the earlier you apply, (depending on the uni), you may have a higher chance of getting an offer with a lower score. You must also look up their entry tariff statistics on unistats to check whether they accept lower offers. (https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subje...eturnTo/Search - for Nottingham Uni).''

What do you mean the earlier you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz8)
    I appreciate that your predicted grades could change, but I would still advise you to apply to one university with entry requirements of BBB or even BBC just in case.

Also, be cautious about applying to three universities looking for AAA. It's good to have a few safer options. I have been told by my sixth form that it's best to apply to one or two ambitious/best case scenario options, two or three options hovering around your predicted grades (AAB, ABB - depending on if your predicted grades change) and one or two below your predicted grades.

Have you dropped one of your subjects?

Good luck with it all though. Also, Sheffield has some nice accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lozzie97)
    I appreciate that your predicted grades could change, but I would still advise you to apply to one university with entry requirements of BBB or even BBC just in case.

Also, be cautious about applying to three universities looking for AAA. It's good to have a few safer options. I have been told by my sixth form that it's best to apply to one or two ambitious/best case scenario options, two or three options hovering around your predicted grades (AAB, ABB - depending on if your predicted grades change) and one or two below your predicted grades.

Have you dropped one of your subjects?

Good luck with it all though. Also, Sheffield has some nice accommodation.
    Thank You everyone for the advice , I dropped Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz8)
    Thank You everyone for the advice , I dropped Chemistry
    That's good, gives you more time for your remaining subjects.

Also, it's a big positive that you got the B in D1 and the As in Core because doing well in C1 and C2 helps with C3 and C4.

Anyway, good luck with it all!

ReputationRep:
    I got a C in D1, Hence the need for a resit I felt the exam was easy just like the material so I dont know where it went wrong. Luckily for me its easy to resit (or so I've heard ) Thank you once more, going to speak to my head of year tomorrow about them

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.