Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Gap year or graduate med entry? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

I got this account especially for this.
    So last year AS didn't go too well, I got an A in Biology, B in Maths, C in Chem and B in Spanish. I'm in A2 now and I've dropped Spanish.

My school refuses to predict me an A in chem so I can't apply to medicine this year, as virtually all unis want an A in chem .

My plan was/is to take a gap year and to not apply to uni at all.
    But l feel like I should really consider studying another degree like biomedical science or neuroscience.
    I need to make my decision asap as uni application deadlines are close plus I don't think I have any work experience for these degrees.

Is post graduate med entry worth it? and if so, what degrees are most enjoyable and related to medicine?

Alsoooo, I heard that some unis (don't know which ones) can transfer you straight into 2nd year of med school after studying 1yr of biomedical sciences and doing very well. Which unis (if any) provide this?

Sorry for all the questions, I would appreciate any advice. Thank you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by cheeselover_)
    Hey everyone,

I got this account especially for this.
    So last year AS didn't go too well, I got an A in Biology, B in Maths, C in Chem and B in Spanish. I'm in A2 now and I've dropped Spanish.

My school refuses to predict me an A in chem so I can't apply to medicine this year, as virtually all unis want an A in chem .

My plan was/is to take a gap year and to not apply to uni at all.
    But l feel like I should really consider studying another degree like biomedical science or neuroscience.
    I need to make my decision asap as uni application deadlines are close plus I don't think I have any work experience for these degrees.

Is post graduate med entry worth it? and if so, what degrees are most enjoyable and related to medicine?

Alsoooo, I heard that some unis (don't know which ones) can transfer you straight into 2nd year of med school after studying 1yr of biomedical sciences and doing very well. Which unis (if any) provide this?

Sorry for all the questions, I would appreciate any advice. Thank you
    Get AAA and take a gap year. It is by far the better option (cheaper, shorter, less competitive).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Get AAA and take a gap year. It is by far the better option (cheaper, shorter, less competitive).
    Do you advise me to even bother applying to another degree e.g. biomedical sciences this year?
    Thanks.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Do you advise me to even bother applying to another degree e.g. biomedical sciences this year?
    Thanks.
    If you want to do medicine, just focus on getting AAA and apply next year.

It depends how confident you feel about getting AAA. If you think its risky, then by all means apply for backup choices this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    If you want to do medicine, just focus on getting AAA and apply next year.

It depends how confident you feel about getting AAA. If you think its risky, then by all means apply for backup choices this year.
    Ok, I'll look into it a bit more as I'm not 100% sure of medicine or getting an A in Chemistry.
    Thank you for all your advice

ReputationRep:
    Cant you just apply for an undergrad degree as a back up? I mean even if you don't get AAA at the end at least you can still go to uni and do a degree in biomedical sciences or something and then later consider g.e.m. And just to let you know postgrad medicine isn't the same as graduate entry medicine (gem). Postgrad medicine is what qualified doctors do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polerat)
    Cant you just apply for an undergrad degree as a back up? I mean even if you don't get AAA at the end at least you can still go to uni and do a degree in biomedical sciences or something and then later consider g.e.m. And just to let you know postgrad medicine isn't the same as graduate entry medicine (gem). Postgrad medicine is what qualified doctors do.
    Yep I think that's what I'm more leaning towards now. Ohhh okay oops, thanks for clearing that up!😊

ReputationRep:
    Yep I think that's what I'm more leaning towards now. Ohhh okay oops, thanks for clearing that up!😊
    Grad entry med is the hardest way to do it. Get the grades, take the gap year and apply for A100. If you don't make the grades, look in to applying with resits as a few unis do take them.
    Only then would I consider graduate entry medicine. As it stands the prospects for graduate entry medicine and the profession look bleak. I say this as a graduate entry medic, do it properly the first time around.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.