The Student Room Group

Retakes? Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by z33
oh ma gawsh i have a cHANCE!
but daym 270/300! i'm deffo retaking the year though i only want an A but daym imma aim for the A* now :P

Yeah 270 is a lot, but retaking some AS exams is a good idea because you would need 269 for an A if you don't retake (in Biology) just one ums less than the A* boundary. So if you retake some AS units and do better it will lower the A grade boundary for you :smile:
Original post by z33
yeS you GO they CANNOT reject you if you get an A*!!!!

i'm weirdly finding A2 so far easier to cope with than AS

like i started AS off getting Us and now I'm getting Bs in class tests and i'm like yasSS

but we don't know til mocks how we're really doing haha

omg i really hope you get in - have you got an offer from that uni yet? and what course may i ask :smile:?

A2 Psychology is horrific, but my other 2 are about the same difficulty I'd say :smile: Haha I had to repeat year 12 (wrong subjects, rubbish college, bad attendance, didn't revise enough) because I got EEUU the first time! I have been getting A's in all the homeworks (apparently I have the structure nailed in both Soc and Psych) but yeah the mocks is when we'll know!

Yes, I have!! Cardiff for Social Analytics and Politics :smile:
Original post by z33
thank you! i'm gonna focus on chemistry because I really need it to be an A and deffo retaking that

biology i'll consider but i don't think i'm gonna get an A this year in computing because i can't program for **** so my coursework probably won't be full ums and we only have 1 exam this year so i might retake one from last year :smile:

thanks again!

No worries! Just remember that it's your overall grades, and not only your AS grades, that are important!
Reply 43
Original post by Ben4
Yeah 270 is a lot, but retaking some AS exams is a good idea because you would need 269 for an A if you don't retake (in Biology) just one ums less than the A* boundary. So if you retake some AS units and do better it will lower the A grade boundary for you :smile:

yupp that's the plan haha definitely gonna retake some units
Original post by emiloujess
x

That link says:
How is the A* awarded?The A* at A Level is awarded to candidates who achieve a grade A on the A Level overall(80%), and who also achieve at least 90% on the uniform mark scale (UMS) across their A2units. For example, in a four-unit A Level which has 400 UMS and each unit has 100 UMS, youneed to achieve at least 320 UMS overall and at least 180 UMS out of 200 on the A2 units.The A* is not awarded for individual units or for the AS Level.

Grade A overall, not grade A at AS.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 45
A2 Psychology is horrific, but my other 2 are about the same difficulty I'd say :smile: Haha I had to repeat year 12 (wrong subjects, rubbish college, bad attendance, didn't revise enough) because I got EEUU the first time! I have been getting A's in all the homeworks (apparently I have the structure nailed in both Soc and Psych) but yeah the mocks is when we'll know!

Yes, I have!! Cardiff for Social Analytics and Politics :smile:

OMG i'm so happy for you now all you have to do is meet the offer! And wow you went from getting EEUU to being predicted A*s and getting offers from top universities you are literally my inspiration :adore:! It sucks that A2 psych is horrible but atleast the other 2 aren't so you can pay more attention to it :smile: and **** yeah you go you get into Cardiff you do that ****!

Good luck i know you can do it after making that bounce back in AS! :biggrin:
Original post by Ben4
That link says:
How is the A* awarded?The A* at A Level is awarded to candidates who achieve a grade A on the A Level overall(80%), and who also achieve at least 90% on the uniform mark scale (UMS) across their A2units. For example, in a four-unit A Level which has 400 UMS and each unit has 100 UMS, youneed to achieve at least 320 UMS overall and at least 180 UMS out of 200 on the A2 units.The A* is not awarded for individual units or for the AS Level.

Please notice that I DELETED THAT LINK after I realised it myself. I was going by what my Sociology teacher told me.
Please notice that I DELETED THAT LINK after I realised it myself. I was going by what my Sociology teacher told me.

Woah, I was not attacking you, just correcting you, so you don't confuse others with what your Sociology teacher told you. You're welcome.
Reply 48
Original post by Ben4
That link says:

omg i thought it was 90% in both years i was like i have no chance...
320/400 is 80% :eek: but still gonna try though bc yolo haha
Original post by z33
OMG i'm so happy for you now all you have to do is meet the offer! And wow you went from getting EEUU to being predicted A*s and getting offers from top universities you are literally my inspiration :adore:! It sucks that A2 psych is horrible but atleast the other 2 aren't so you can pay more attention to it :smile: and **** yeah you go you get into Cardiff you do that ****!Good luck i know you can do it after making that bounce back in AS! :biggrin:
I'm predicted A*AB, and Cardiff isn't really a top uni haha :biggrin: I think it's about 17th for Politics? But thanks anyway! :smile: Yep A2 Psych is pretty horrible but I said that about Sociology last year then got an A... my judgement is awful! :tongue: I'm sure you'll get the grades you need... sorry if you've mentioned it before but which universities are you hoping for? :smile:
Original post by z33
omg i thought it was 90% in both years i was like i have no chance...
320/400 is 80% :eek: but still gonna try though bc yolo haha

Good luck, yes at the end of the day what have you got to lose? nothing :smile:.
Original post by Ben4
Woah, I was not attacking you, just correcting you, so you don't confuse others with what your Sociology teacher told you. You're welcome.

Yeah, I should thank you actually...
I CAN STILL GET AN A* IN PSYCHOLOGY!! WOOOO!

Thanks though :smile: Sorry if I seemed a little hostile before :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 52
I'm predicted A*AB, and Cardiff isn't really a top uni haha :biggrin: I think it's about 17th for Politics? But thanks anyway! :smile: Yep A2 Psych is pretty horrible but I said that about Sociology last year then got an A... my judgement is awful! :tongue: I'm sure you'll get the grades you need... sorry if you've mentioned it before but which universities are you hoping for? :smile:

i realllllyyyy wanna go to Brighton :biggrin: or Sussex but BRIGHTON even though it's 21st for my course it's so BEAUTIFUL and i've always wanted to go to Brighton - it's like London but more chill and dat BEACH

Sussex are starting the course in 2016 so idk how it would be haha

Maybe UCL but i feel like changing it up from London but it would be cool to go to UCL :smile:
Reply 53
Original post by Ben4
Good luck, yes at the end of the day what have you got to lose? nothing :smile:.

Yeppp :biggrin: new motivation is washing over me i think i might pick up my bio textbook and do some more revision haha

i would rep you again but it's not letting me lol
Original post by z33
i realllllyyyy wanna go to Brighton :biggrin: or Sussex but BRIGHTON even though it's 21st for my course it's so BEAUTIFUL and i've always wanted to go to Brighton - it's like London but more chill and dat BEACH

Sussex are starting the course in 2016 so idk how it would be haha

Maybe UCL but i feel like changing it up from London but it would be cool to go to UCL :smile:

It doesn't matter about league tables - it's how the university makes you feel, how interesting the course is and career prospects. If you think you'll be happy there, don't let a table tell you not to go there! I've also applied to one slightly higher up than Cardiff (14th maybe?) but I'd go to Cardiff instead of there any day! :smile: I might be down in Brighton next September for a conference... that'll be interesting, never been there before :tongue:
Original post by z33
Yeppp :biggrin: new motivation is washing over me i think i might pick up my bio textbook and do some more revision haha

i would rep you again but it's not letting me lol

Haha, glad I was able to motivate you in some way :smile: I wish I was as motivated as you to revise some Biology :biggrin:

Yeah, I should thank you actually...
I CAN STILL GET AN A* IN PSYCHOLOGY!! WOOOO!

Thanks though :smile: Sorry if I seemed a little hostile before :colondollar:

No worries, and I hope you get that A*! Best of luck :smile:
Original post by z33
Okay i'll try to make this as easy and simple as possible

I got BBCC in biologyOCRA, computingOCR, chemistryOCRB and physicsOCRA, and I carried on with biology, chemistry and computing

I need to get AAA if not AAB AT LEAST to do the course I want to do at the uni I want to do it (Pharmacy at UCL) but the aim is AAA

Basically my question is, do I NEED to do retakes to get AAA?

currently my school have set me up to retake unit 2s for chemistry, biology and physics

I'll break down my UMS for you

BIOLOGY - overall = B
Unit 1: 83/90 - A
Unit 2: 83/150 - D
Unit 3 (cwk): 45/60 - B

Need to get 269/300 this year to get an A overall (240 is an A)

CHEMISTRY - overall = C
Unit 1: 65/90 - B
Unit 2: 86/150 - D
Unit 3 (cwk): 43/60 - B

Need 286/300 to get A overall (240 is an A)

COMPUTING - overall = B
Unit 1: 75/100 - B
Unit 2: 74/100 - B

Need 171/200 to get A overall (160 is an A)

PHYSICS - overall = C
Unit 1: 61/90 - C
Unit 2: 79/150 - D
Unit 3 (cwk) - 44/60 - B

Need to retake unit 2 to get A in AS as I didn't carry on at A-level so need to get 135/150 in my retake (and 120 is an A in that exam)

SO what do you guys think? worth retaking all units? which ones should I retake? any tips and tricks? any success stories? I'm feeling super stressed so any advice to make this easier would be helpful...

Thank you :biggrin:

I would retake all unit 2s. You basically need 270 in bio this year to get an A which will give u an A*. So one UMS is the difference between a B (269) and an A*. Thats living life on the edge.
Original post by Ben4
Haha, glad I was able to motivate you in some way :smile: I wish I was as motivated as you to revise some Biology :biggrin:

No worries, and I hope you get that A*! Best of luck :smile:

Thanks, and to you too! :smile:
Reply 58
It doesn't matter about league tables - it's how the university makes you feel, how interesting the course is and career prospects. If you think you'll be happy there, don't let a table tell you not to go there! I've also applied to one slightly higher up than Cardiff (14th maybe?) but I'd go to Cardiff instead of there any day! :smile: I might be down in Brighton next September for a conference... that'll be interesting, never been there before :tongue:

yuppp preach it! Yes Brighton is realllyyy nice i think. But obviously british weather you don't get many nice warm days but it's still beautiful i just think it's such a cool place and i would be at the pier like 24/7 getting on them rides ahaha
and they've got such nice houses too! :biggrin: I've been there like 3 times but i really liked it haha
Reply 59
Original post by whydoidothis?
I would retake all unit 2s. You basically need 270 in bio this year to get an A which will give u an A*. So one UMS is the difference between a B (269) and an A*. Thats living life on the edge.

holy **** don't put it like that!!! that's so ****ing scary yes imma retake dem unit 2s

but **** physics i ain't going near that **** again once was enough haha

Quick Reply

Latest