Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

IGCSE English help please!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    so my teacher said that my coursework(which is 40% of the final grade ) portfolio is a 45/50 (average) so that would have been JUST an A
    however my coursework was moderated this week and it dropped to 42/50 which is now a B (really devastated about this).To make things even worse i got 24/30 for my speaking and listening exam (which is 20% of the final grade ).So now my question is,if 60% of the coursework is mid-high B and you get an high A (Or even A*)in your exam (which is also 40% of the final grade) is it still possible to get an A overal?
    Thanks in advance,any advice will be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    if you have dropped to a B then your average might go down, which is not possible for an A or an A* but you could tell me what exactly are your weak points and i could hep you and give you some tips there.

a private message is ok
    and telling it here is also ok
    your choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Real_jenn)
    so my teacher said that my coursework(which is 40% of the final grade ) portfolio is a 45/50 (average) so that would have been JUST an A
    however my coursework was moderated this week and it dropped to 42/50 which is now a B (really devastated about this).To make things even worse i got 24/30 for my speaking and listening exam (which is 20% of the final grade ).So now my question is,if 60% of the coursework is mid-high B and you get an high A (Or even A*)in your exam (which is also 40% of the final grade) is it still possible to get an A overal?
    Thanks in advance,any advice will be appreciated
    It is still possible to get an a/a*. As your coursework mark is low, you just need to obtain a higher amount of marks in the exam. Ask your teacher or check online for the grade boundaries as your final grade is given to you based on everything. I'm doing the igcse exam early in November and I need 30 marks for an A and 41 marks for an A*.

I got 46/50 and 28/30 in my speaking and listening.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeyboy18000)
    It is still possible to get an a/a*. As your coursework mark is low, you just need to obtain a higher amount of marks in the exam. Ask your teacher or check online for the grade boundaries as your final grade is given to you based on everything. I'm doing the igcse exam early in November and I need 30 marks for an A and 41 marks for an A*.

I got 46/50 and 28/30 in my speaking and listening.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    im doing it in November as well ,but im determined to get an A* so hopefully I can still get an A overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nityaaditya)
    if you have dropped to a B then your average might go down, which is not possible for an A or an A* but you could tell me what exactly are your weak points and i could hep you and give you some tips there.

a private message is ok
    and telling it here is also ok
    your choice
    but my question is if I get an A* In the exam (as coursework portfolio and exam are of equivalent percentage) then I should be able to get an A overall .
    Because I just checked that its possible to get an A* in speaking and listening,thus 23-26 should be approx an A and 27-30 should be approx an A*.If you could get an A* in coursework portfolio then 42/50 should be an A but because you can't that speaks why my coursework grade is a B

ReputationRep:
    but my question is if I get an A* In the exam (as coursework portfolio and exam are of equivalent percentage) then I should be able to get an A overall .
    Because I just checked that its possible to get an A* in speaking and listening,thus 23-26 should be approx an A and 27-30 should be approx an A*.If you could get an A* in coursework portfolio then 42/50 should be an A but because you can't that speaks why my coursework grade is a B
    Firstly, you can't get an a* in speaking and listening or coursework. The highest is an A. A* is only given as a whole and not individual components. And yes you can get an A* OVERALL but you just need to score high in the exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

how many subject do you take
    if you take 9 then at least 7 should be above B's to get A overall
    if you take 8 then at least 6
    if you take 7 then at least 5
    if you take 6 then at least 4

are you answered?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.